Sumach?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just ben given 2 rings of Sumach (Stagshorn) Approx 4" thiuck and 10" dia. They have very strong growth rings showing but the pith is rotten. If the figuring is worth it I will try and do something with them. Has anyone turned this wood before?

Pete

Never heared of it Pete.
But have Googled it,and it seems to look nice when finished.
So will look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Paul.J.

Hi Pete, yes I have turned some from the garden, have some more currently drying.

Only done pens (middle two)with it so far but solid core wood is a rich dark brown and has some good figuring in it, a bit like poor mans Zebrano.

Watch the green bark while you are handling it, can cause blisters.

Thanks guys, judging by the rings it could look good. worth drying and using. Might have to put a false bottom on it though if the pith dries out soft, or soak it Superglue if it is worth it. Just managed to find 10 pots of the stuff in a pound shop (runny one) so can aford to be a bit liberal with it if needed. I'll post the result if I get one.

Was wondering about doing a natural edge with one piece but as Paul's site says causes blisters, not may cause blisters, I think I'll strip the bark before I out it on the lathe
Pete

Also known as Staghorn. It is worth turning but in the dry state. If you turn it wet the resin in it makes a mess of everything. I first worked it wet many years ago and it took ages to get the stuff off my bandsaw blade and table.
It's a great pity it's been cut as you said because it is worth the effort and it's unusual to come across logs of 10 inch diameter. You could liken it to Mulberry or Laburnam.

Latest posts

Back