Spalted birch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not a Turner but I have access to a lathe. I have a small piece of birch which I planned to use for something else but I just found it is spalted so I guess I should try turning. Any tips? Do I need to treat the wood somehow? Before or after turning? Is the process the same as turning non-spalted wood?

I am not a Turner but I have access to a lathe. I have a small piece of birch which I planned to use for something else but I just found it is spalted so I guess I should try turning. Any tips? Do I need to treat the wood somehow? Before or after turning? Is the process the same as turning non-spalted wood?
Depends how soft it is. I would just crack on for now. People worry about the dust, but you should be wearing a mask anyhow and that is plenty of protection. If when you have it mostly shaped you are finding it difficult to get a clean cut, some wet rot hardener can work wonders to make it a bit more solid.

Back