Suitable respirator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauriceD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I need to tap your brains. I have cancer of the voice box but hopefully it will be removed in a couple of weeks. I would like to return to turning once it is all over but I am worried about the dust. In the past I have used a small respirator and a Record Power dust extractor but I don’t think they cut the mustard for me. I am considering buying a respirator like the Trend Airshield or the Powercap with the constant airflow and would like to know if anybody has any experience of these and if they would offer sufficient protection. Thanks.

Hi Maurice

I was using a full face shield and good quality disposable dust mask for a while but found I was starting to suffer with my sinuses, so after some research I went for this

http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/jsp-jetstream ... 20_211_100

With this top

http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/jsp-jetstream ... 20_211_100

Not cheap but I highly recommend it. When turning you can't even smell the wood which proves to me that its working. I reckon if you can smell the wood then something is getting through!!

It's not cheap but what is? I went for this over the Trend because of the weight more than anything else as a lot of online reviews complain about the Trend's weight and as I wear it all day most days it is a factor.

The only down side is you need to remember to charge it and there aren't any spare batteries as its all together in the belt unit.

HTH

Richard

+1 for Richard's type.

I actually have a secondhand 3M one that I think Chas has.

You are welcome to come over to Stourbridge if you want to try mine for size and comfort. Just PM me.

There are quite a few different types come up on ebay - worth a look, but do make sure if you buy secondhand that you can still get the spare filters.

Good luck with the op and your quick recovery.

Greg

Not cheap options but the waist mounted filters with full face/head helmets are the way to go for maximum comfort and protection.
Just make sure the helmet part has the appropriate impact protection visor, some helmets are only lightweight dust/fume or splash protection not impact.

Back