• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Strimmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a battery blade strimmer. For domestic use--small garden. There are various makes to choose from. What make do you have and is it reliable?

Look forward to your answers.

We have had a small Stihl for the last couple years. I can work along the fence doing light trimming for about 100+ metres before the battery dies.
We also have a corded Stihl and a Makita 4 stroke gas powered.
We're strung out. 😉
Pete

We have a Worx strimmer, battery also fits our small mower as to run time I get board before the battery runs out, light enough that my wife use's it, lets me off the hook. 😇

We bought an Ego strimmer a couple of years ago. It works as efficiently as our old 2 stroke one. It goes for about 45 minutes on a charge, and is easy to use. It takes just over half an hour to recharge the battery. Also different sized batteries are available - we have the smallest '2.5' size. Another advantage is it has a simple reloading and extending line mechanism

If I needed to I'd buy another without hestatioon.

Jeff

I am looking to buy a battery blade strimmer. For domestic use--small garden. There are various makes to choose from. What make do you have and is it reliable?

Look forward to your answers.
Mike, do you actually mean a strimmer, as you mention a blade. The blades are a fairly heavy metal plate and these are called brush cutters. They need more "oomph" than a strimmer, so bigger batteries and more expense.
Before I realised this and also accepted cutting 50 x 10 m area meant the purchase of a 4 stroke Makita, I'd narrowed my choice down to an electric Stihl.

Colin

I have a Makita twin 18v brush cutter. Comes with plastic blades, a metal blade and the nylon reel. I bought it as a body only as I already have a collection of Makita batteries. It does a great job with plenty of power from the 36v . It has a brushless motor as well which keeps things nice and quiet.

Last edited:
Mike, do you actually mean a strimmer, as you mention a blade. The blades are a fairly heavy metal plate and these are called brush cutters. They need more "oomph" than a strimmer, so bigger batteries and more expense.
Before I realised this and also accepted cutting 50 x 10 m area meant the purchase of a 4 stroke Makita, I'd narrowed my choice down to an electric Stihl.

Colin
O

Last edited:
The Stilh range is top quality and built for the trades , all comes down to how much you want to spend . You can buy individual machines or go with a combination machine where you can add hedge trimmer, small chainsaw etc all from one Main engine in battery or petrol options 👍👍

I have a petrol stilh and a battery stilh which I bought as the wife didn’t want to bother with trying to start the petrol. Yesterday wanted to use the petrol to strim the banked verge outside my house but of course it wouldn’t start and needs a strip down.
Huge weeds and long grass - about 50 yards long. Tried the battery strimmer on it and was amazed. Did the whole job on one battery with some large patches of nettles and thistles. I’ll be getting rid of the petrol now I realise how good and how simple to use these are.

I have a petrol stilh and a battery stilh which I bought as the wife didn’t want to bother with trying to start the petrol. Yesterday wanted to use the petrol to strim the banked verge outside my house but of course it wouldn’t start and needs a strip down.
Huge weeds and long grass - about 50 yards long. Tried the battery strimmer on it and was amazed. Did the whole job on one battery with some large patches of nettles and thistles. I’ll be getting rid of the petrol now I realise how good and how simple to use these are.

I went on the same path. The petrol version was great, but I didn't use it enough to keep a fresh supply of fuel available. I sold it and bought the battery version. The AK20 batteries fit the strimmer, blower, and scarifier.

During a recent major renovation of my garden, the RLA 240 scarifier wasn't up to the task. Even with four batteries and three chargers, the aggressive scarifying drained them all in about 30 minutes. I bought the petrol RL 540 scarifier, and it is a joy to use.

I have a petrol Husqvarna and a harness. I considered battery but we have so much stuff that needs frequent strimming that a battery didn't seem like a viable proposition.

It can be a little temperamental to start when cold but, that aside, it works well.

For a small area, I would either stay with a cored mains strimmer or a battery one.

TBH, for infrequent use, I don't see the point in spending a fortune on one. For heavy use, a different matter entirely.

My Son-in-Law is a professional garden maintainer for the past ten years+and uses Stilh, strimmers and hedge trimmers. I am sure that the accountants have been at their products as they seem to have too many break-downs of small plastic pieces. This means constant trips to the repair workshops as definitely not user friendly.
I have a Kawasaki petrol strimmer that has (fingers crossed) done great service for years (without any repairs) and I don't empty the fuel tank and it starts very easily each time. One day it won't but it has paid for itself over and over. I am afraid the "race to the bottom" has reduced even the "Big Boys" to less robust work tools but their prices don't reflect this.

My Son-in-Law is a professional garden maintainer for the past ten years+and uses Stilh, strimmers and hedge trimmers. I am sure that the accountants have been at their products as they seem to have too many break-downs of small plastic pieces. This means constant trips to the repair workshops as definitely not user friendly.
I have a Kawasaki petrol strimmer that has (fingers crossed) done great service for years (without any repairs) and I don't empty the fuel tank and it starts very easily each time. One day it won't but it has paid for itself over and over. I am afraid the "race to the bottom" has reduced even the "Big Boys" to less robust work tools but their prices don't reflect this.
W

Last edited:
My strimmer is a Kawasaki 23A or 26A (can't remember which), it is a small one. I am afraid I don't do anything special just the correct mix. I have always heard about fuel stabiliser etc. but touch wood, never needed it. I have had a big Kawasaki, the cow horn handle type, which again was extremely reliable. My small strimmer is at least 10 years old and it suits me just fine. I have no knowledge of recent machines (apart from Son-in-Law's stilh) and don't know what they are like now. Sometimes I yearn for some "Green Concrete" Then I could sit back and watch someone's else's grass grow!

I am wary of blade strimmers as you never know when they will discontinue making the blades leaving you with a perfectly functioning strimmer that you can't get blades for. As an aside, we bought a cheap B&Q MacAlister strimmer, which I hoped would last about two years at my alotment, six years later it is only now not giving the 25 minutes run time I used to get, so has been relogated to light garden duties. If B&Q had made spare batteries availabe it would hacve been perfect.

I actually just bought a battery one myself last week.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti821ggt-18v-1-x-2-0ah-li-ion-txp-cordless-grass-trimmer/380pt
I had been reluctant to go this route but petrol was a no for me and so much to deal with at the allotment that something had to be bought.

It worked well on its first couple of runs! I’m not expecting top end quality but it’s quick to set up, packs down small, light to use.
That Screwfix strimmer gets excellent reviews, and from what reviewers say, the auto-feed system seems to work really well. (I have a Qualcast mains powered strimmer, which is really unusable as the auto-feed is pathetic). Does the spool on the Screwfix Titan strimmer have to be rewound with new cord, or is the cassette simply replaced with a new full spool?

won'tbuy Sthil any more.......
anything Japanese is good.....
I usually stick to Echo machines but do have a big Kawasaki strimmer but I'm not stong enough to start it anymore....
this summer will look into an electric starter conversion for it.....
made this years ago.....it reg strims my back field 4,000m2......
IMG_0679.JPG

Latest posts

Back