Strange guitar.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honest John

Established Member
Reaction score
So I escaped the "marital whip"for about the third or fourth year on the run to attend the Yandles show lat weekend. Not quite as good as previous ones in my opinion, however to the point. There was a luthier demoing there, and I can't remember his name but he was local. I couldn't get to talk to him as he was deep in conversation with somebody else, but he had a very strange guitar on display. This guitar had the normal six strings in place but about 3 mm below these had a second set of 6 strings mounted at about 60 deg to the first set and crossing at approx the sound hole. There was no finger board for these strings, so I'm thinking that they're role was sort of the same as the drones on a set of bag pipes. I've never seen anything like this before, and I am intrigued. Does anyone know what this arrangement was about. I would have so Iiked to have asked. The quality of work on everything on display on this stall was excellent.

Yes....it may well have been me you saw talking to him :)

His name was Alan but I cant recall his surname and therefore the name of the company but it was something like Harlequin Guitars??? The one with the separate set of strings (I played it) was a very unusual design and in fact the guy was a bit of an innovator all round with several other design ideas he had prototyped. The idea was they were tuned to a major harmonic of each of the main strings and you didn't "play" them as such, they just give an extra ring on playing the primary strings. I found it difficult to hear them live on the day because there was too much hub bub going on with all the lathes close by and Simon Hope flogging his thread cutting jig :) But I liked the idea, it looked stunning and I sensed it might sound quite nice from what I could make out above the din.

He had an amazing looking Cello too that his daughter plays in an orchestral setting. A lovely bloke, with some original ideas, well executed.

It's either a guitar with sympathetic strings or a combined guitar and harp/zither instrument, both are not new ideas.

Alan Miller? http://www.alanmillerguitars.co.uk/othe ... ments.html

16142531_10211574839828907_6024183892573186960_n.jpg

16195985_10211574833588751_187002941462522943_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/148426401844235/photos/

Thanks to all. It was indeed Alan Miller. I recognise the name now that it's been mentioned. Really interesting work he was producing. I rather thought that the second string set was to be unplucked and would probably react to the harmonics of the main strings. I can't imagine these would produce a great deal of volume but must certainly add some colour to the overall sound. The cello was also an outstanding piece of work.

Alan Miller, that's it, knew it was Alan somebody. As I said in my first post, the strings were definitely not meant to be plucked (we specifically discussed the design and purpose). Their role is to simply ring out with sympathetic notes to add to the overall sound. Quite how those notes remain sympathetic when you fret different notes up the neck I'm not entirely sure since the crossed strings don't change their pitch?? But it certainly looked interesting.

I just realised it has fanned frets too. Something I've always wanted to try.

That was stunning to see close up. I asked him about it and he said the intonation up the neck is improved by taking that approach. It was subtle too, I didn't notice it while playing but only when I stepped back and examined the instrument. Suddenly they popped out at me....he's not conventional that guy, I liked his greater use of different methods, he was prepared to take a risk and that made it all the more interesting. The only thing I would have liked would have been to hear them in a quiet setting because you just couldn't judge with all that racket in the background.

I'd never be able to play it anywhere near well, I just fancy building a multi-scale neck but never took the plunge.

Perhaps an example of something similar. Medieval musicians had a "Viola D'Amore", basically a Viola with sympathetic strings, as likely in those Guitars.
A similar instrument used today might be the Hardanger Fiddle, again with sympathetic strings.
First an example of the sound:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZX0e65xMtw
Then a brief explanation :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64lKomW2ncw

I have read, don't as where, that a practised Norse fiddle player could move a wine glass the length of a table by resting his fiddle on the table as it was played, using the resonances. How true that is I don't know but it is certainly captivating sound.

xy

xy mosian":1syqesx0 said:
I have read, don't as where, that a practised Norse fiddle player could move a wine glass the length of a table by resting his fiddle on the table as it was played, using the resonances. How true that is I don't know but it is certainly captivating sound.

I wouldn't think it's impossible, but the variables would certainly make it hard to recreate.

I love the look of fanned frets, but not sure about it, having played a 'normal' fret guitar for 20 years, it must be weird, a bit like learning to drive again, it'd take a while to adjust if you know what I mean.

Random Orbital Bob":2s1t0lww said:
Alan Miller, that's it, knew it was Alan somebody. As I said in my first post, the strings were definitely not meant to be plucked (we specifically discussed the design and purpose). Their role is to simply ring out with sympathetic notes to add to the overall sound. Quite how those notes remain sympathetic when you fret different notes up the neck I'm not entirely sure since the crossed strings don't change their pitch?? But it certainly looked interesting.

As long as the resonator strings share some (any!) harmonics with the fretted string(s)
something will happen.

BugBear

NazNomad":ha5frm9m said:
xy mosian":ha5frm9m said:

I wouldn't think it's impossible, but the variables would certainly make it hard to recreate.

Absolutely, I suppose the party piece might be a result of long winters with little entertainment.

Back