Stopping Mitre Gauge Slop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyW

Established Member
Reaction score
I seek some advice from the experienced!

I recently bought a Scheppach Precisa 4 table saw. Whilst the saw is excellent; the build quality excellent etc etc, I am not impressed with the mitre gauge's fit on the saw.

It's a lovely quality gauge that I would not want to replace, however it doesn't sit in the T track as snug as I thought a saw in that price range would offer in terms of accuracy.

The gauge bar is the standard length and is a standard cross section, however it offers no option for adjustment - like wot the UJK gauges do for example.

So I come seeking some advice as to what I could do to tighten it up in the track.

I've read that using a centre punch and punching a series of dimples on the side of the bar, can help tighten it in the track. You can then file the dimples if it get too tight. This may be my first plan. Anybody used this method before I start hammering a near-perfect gauge?

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

Jonny

Nothing wrong with your first plan.
Do you have a vice strong enough to squeeze the ends of the bar a little? that and filing to width would last longer as the dimples will wear away if the saw has a cast iron table.

How thick is the bar? can it be drilled and threaded with grub screws like the UJK bar is?

JonnyW":2cfnaklv said:
I seek some advice from the experienced!

I recently bought a Scheppach Precisa 4 table saw. Whilst the saw is excellent; the build quality excellent etc etc, I am not impressed with the mitre gauge's fit on the saw.

It's a lovely quality gauge that I would not want to replace, however it doesn't sit in the T track as snug as I thought a saw in that price range would offer in terms of accuracy.

The gauge bar is the standard length and is a standard cross section, however it offers no option for adjustment - like wot the UJK gauges do for example.

So I come seeking some advice as to what I could do to tighten it up in the track.

I've read that using a centre punch and punching a series of dimples on the side of the bar, can help tighten it in the track. You can then file the dimples if it get too tight. This may be my first plan. Anybody used this method before I start hammering a near-perfect gauge?

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

Jonny

You could use UHMW tape on the bar to improve the fit, eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UHMW-Self...ak-Non-Stick-Tape-25mm-X-1metre-/181231348122

Thanks guys for the responses.

I'll try the centre punch idea first, although I do like the spring loaded grub screws.

Jonny

Latest posts

Back