stile meets rail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerdeira

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've always found the process of cuting mitres in moulded stile and rail joints very time consuming. As part of a cabinet I'm currently making I thought of documenting my process. Nothing really new here, it's basically an hand tool task. If I'me lucky I can finish one in about 15 minutes, but most of the time it takes much more: Ive got to do several iterations before all fits in nicely. And I'm talking about moulding on just the front side and offset shoulders so I can avoid cutting mitres on the back. This way only 8 surfaces must meet (2 shoulders and 2 mitres on the stile and on the rail).
It's a helluva time for just an humble joint.
How would you do this in production?
I'd appreciate inputs as to speeding up this process: no cheating like applying beads afterwards or scribing joints (you cannot scribe joints whose moulds aren't strictly decreasing curves).

Now here's my process:

First the tenon is assembled the normal way, as if there was no moulding at all

p1010003.jpg

A square is used to mark on the stile the locations where the mouldings will intersect.

p1010004.jpg

here's the result:

p1010006.jpg

then I chop the waste in the stile with a chisel. the bead groove will help in registering the chisel for paring

p1010007.jpg

A 45 deg template is used to cut the mitres. I make several cuts removing little material in each pass.This avoids tearing out the unsupported portion of the bead right above the groove.

p1010008.jpg

I finish the cut with a chisel plane:

p1010009.jpg

the finished stile:

p1010010.jpg

using the same process for the tenon:

p1010011.jpg

the finished tenon:

p1010012.jpg

didn't get a good fit for the first time and had to remove a bit from the back shoulder.

p10100131.jpg

The end result: front:

p1010014.jpg

and back:

p1010015.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Superb. 8)

Never thought of using a shoulder or chisel plane before (I've always used a bevel-edged chisel...). Thanks for the tip. :)

That's some skills there!!!! nice fit. And thanks for the detailed pictures and your procedure of making this joint.

Looks fairly perfect!
I would have marked up a bit* more - pencil the 45º angles across the face of the rail as a sight line. Then much as you have done except I'd be offering up and trimming to fit a bit more. One cheap trick is to get the faces of the bevels close and then to drop a saw cut between them, which will bring them into alignment (if you do it right!). I first saw this being done between a corner fence post and a brace, with a chain saw.

*PS I'd mark up a lot more - the width of the muntin and the the beads, across the rail, as well as the bevels. Then you can see where you are going wrong, where lines don't meet, where to trim etc.

Hi there,
Nice joint there.

To answer your question on how it would be done in production (production being in a bespoke joinery shop), well...

With what you have got there, the mortice bit would be done exactly the same way as you have done so. The tennon bit though, would be done on the chop saw. Setup to 45degree angle and set the depth to the tennon, bring the piece away from the fence by packing it out.

If the mortice part was the moulding and then a rebate on the other side, you would use the chop saw once again, this time tilting the saw to 45 degrees and setting the depth to the groove point. I suppose you could trench out the middle bit, but I always tend to chop it out by hand, less room for error. Even with the chop saw set to 45degrees though, I have found it nessecary sometimes to trim the shoulder to get a better fit, does save a bit of time though.

Back