Sticky situation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17340

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been using a Myford ML8 quite happily for a few years after buying it from an occupational therapy department. The instructor told me to occasionally add grease to the headstock via the two machined screw holes. I followed his advice but since reading some posts here it looks like I should have been adding oil.
The lathe is running smoothly and doesn't get too much use (sadly). I have downloaded an exploded diagram of the lathe and I am left wondering a few things now.

How easy will it be to dismantle the bearings and clean out the grease?
Will this have done any harm?
What oil should I use?

any tips appreciated. Mike

PS. I'll be going to the Woodworking Show at Ingleston this weekend. It's only a half hour drive. I have been before and although a modest event it is inspiring to see the professionals up close. Have to avoid the shiny toys though! Some bargains too as everything bought is postage free.

Don't know the details of the lathe but are they ball or roller bearings or plain bronze,
If the former nothing wrong with grease, if the latter oil would be better, I would not worry about removing grease just move to using oil if that's what is needed.

Problem with disturbing anything that is running smoothly is that you may accidentally introduce any debris that has been flung out of the way of the bearing race back into the system, better to just let new lubricant keep pushing it out of the load path.

If you use a good light oil for a while, it'll probably wash out any gunge over a little while. Just make sure it doesn't run dry - it's not designed to retain it's oil, and light oil will run out quicker than a normal heavier one.

I have had lots of these i brake them for spares, some headstocks come apart easy most do not, if the drive pulley has spun on the shaft there will be a groove that can jam it on and it will have to be pressed out, some will never come apart but that is good news for me as i get to sell the headstock.
It should be thick oil thin will just run out, i have had quite a few with grease in and they have been ok. I would just top up with oil.

Thanks for all the advice; sounds like don't fix if not broke and gradually let oil replace the grease. Would "light" oil be something like auto gearbox oil or something thicker?

Thanks

Back