ML8 Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonridout

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have just bought my first lathe, a ML8 with a 47" bed. Happy with the price paid, partly because it came with 25 tools, half Robert Sorbey's, many others good brands and a few with no evidence of who made them.

However, once I had it assembled and wired up, the motor cuts out after about 30 seconds and the NVR start button will not push in for about 2 minutes, as if there has been a thermal cut out, which requires time to reset. Other than checking the wiring connections and giving the motor a good clean, I am lost as how to proceed. I am tempted to try a new NVR switch or even just use a double pole on/off switch. Has anyone any suggestions please.

Thank you

Simon

I have just bought my first lathe, a ML8 with a 47" bed. Happy with the price paid, partly because it came with 25 tools, half Robert Sorbey's, many others good brands and a few with no evidence of who made them.

However, once I had it assembled and wired up, the motor cuts out after about 30 seconds and the NVR start button will not push in for about 2 minutes, as if there has been a thermal cut out, which requires time to reset. Other than checking the wiring connections and giving the motor a good clean, I am lost as how to proceed. I am tempted to try a new NVR switch or even just use a double pole on/off switch. Has anyone any suggestions please.

Thank you

Simon
Disclaimer: I'm far from expert

Is the NVR rated for the starting load? Sounds as if it's exactly what you describe - overload cutout in the switch.

Do you have the tools to measure the starting load either side of the switch?

Can you wire direct to a plug and check it runs with a straight on/off at socket without tripping the main board breaker.

If that works, the problem is starting load on the NVR...get a replacement

We had a ml8 and had a switch problem so nicked one off the table saw, now the ml8 has gone to another shed and the saw needs a switch!🤣🤣🤣

The ML8 is an old, outdated design, limited in height over bed and in other features. I have had one for over 40 years, came from a school so was probably well used by the time I bought it. Despite the dated design, I think it is a very well made, solid machine that will just go on and on for years, long after nice shiny new chaiwanese kit have been consigned to the scrap heap. I am sure it will serve you well, mine certainly has done well for me, although not used much now since buying a union graduate. You can see the price of a ML8 when last made from the price list below - not cheap. These days the equivalent price would be over £1000, plus motor, plus starter, plus stand, plus VAT. At that price, it ought to be good.

K

Attachments

• scan0007 c.jpg
    scan0007 c.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back