Sticky back sanding discs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I peal them of and then wash of the glue with a rag and mineral spirits, then a final wipe with acetone. In the rare instances where scraping off the paper bits is needed I use a plastic scraper. I don't want to scratch the disc with metal.

Pete

Try warming up the glue.
If you get sticky bits left, it's a question of finding the correct solvent.

Geocel " the works spray "multi use cleaner is really good at getting sticky stuff off things.

Ollie

I use a hot air gun to remove the worn abrasive pad, then with the old glue hot and sticky put the the new sticky one on. This works for me.my disc sander "plate" is MDF on a converted 14 inch chop saw.
Tony

Thankyou all for your quick replies. Used the hot air gun and peeled off without any problems. Then cleaned the face plate with cellulose thinners before putting on a new disc. Unfortunately my machine is years old and what I should have done was get a spare faceplate as there are times when I need a different grade of disc and find myself taking one off that has only been used for a short while.
I have got a PHD in hindsight. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Alan

Next time you take it off, replace it with a piece of velcro held on with contact adhesive and use the fuzzy-backed discs.
This is a good method.
But, the additional er, "squishiness" of the velcro can result in slight rounding of the corners. Might not be a problem, depending on what you are doing.

Ollie

Back