Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie Woody":3qo31abj said:
Roof looks great Steve! Is the other side done too? If so it's just in time as I gather that this month could be a bit wet!

Indeed. The north side was finished a couple of weeks ago. So I'm now properly weather-tight, apart from the doorways, which are pretty well protected anyway.
S

Steve Maskery":dkzxtya9 said:
Hey, I've been made a sticky! Whoo-hoo!
Thank you mods (I assume).
:)

S
what do in the privacy of your workshop stays in the workshop, hee hee

Ray has done a top quality job on that roof Steve =D> this is certainly an excellent WIP ...full marks to everyone :D

Cracking job there from Ray, with your help Steve.

I must pop round, not that I will be much help I have knackered up my right hand, torn ligaments.

Pete

A big milestone. As others have said, Ray has done a great job on the roof. What's left to do before you're finished?

Oh, there is still a long way to go. There is still work to do on the cladding and external and internal walls, the ceiling, and floor need installing. But there isn't much more wall insulation to install, it's just that I've got a load of timber in the way preventing me getting at the bays, and wherever I move it to, it will be in the way for something else.

I've just had to cough up £28 for an amendment to my PP to put windows in the front wall. I was going to have roof-lights, but I can't see that side of the roof, making it attractive to the bad guys. So, assuming they say Yes, I shall have shuttered windows where you see the holes.

I don't know when Ray is coming again, but Julian is back next Tuesday and I shall get him to help me install the door frame.

Both Julian and Ray have been here today. Julian has been I/C of finishing the wall insulation. Apart from a couple of little corners and the gable ends above the wall plate, that is now finished.

Ray and I spent all morning with a paper and pencil working out how best to cut and fit plasterboard. Remeber all that 2.4m / 8ft malarky we went through earlier, well now it is coming home to roost. But we have worked out that if we use 3m plasterboard instead of 2.4m, we can cut it will minimal waste. This is helped by the end bays in all 4 walls being narrower than the rest. But we need to clear some more space before I can take delivery af anything else, I have too much stuff stacked around as it is.

So after lunch we started putting insulation in the roof and boarding it over with OSB, Ray up top, as usual (although at least he was dry today, despite the rain) and Julian and I cut insulation and OSB to fit.

P1030009.JPG

P1030010.JPG

P1030011.JPG

P1030012.JPG

P1030013.JPG

Unfortunately Ray can't come again until next week :(

S

Attachments

• P1030009.JPG
    P1030009.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 1,018
  • P1030010.JPG
    P1030010.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 1,017
  • P1030011.JPG
    P1030011.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 1,018
  • P1030012.JPG
    P1030012.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 1,018
  • P1030013.JPG
    P1030013.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,018
Any particular reason you are plaster boarding Steve? Any form of ply would give you something to screw to for shelving etc.

No, not really.
My original plan was to have a sawdust burner, and I may still do that. But to start with I think I'll see how I get on with just little electric heater. It will be well-insulated, so I'm hoping that it won't bankrupt me in heating bills.
S

Grayorm":2hqp869u said:
Steve Maskery":2hqp869u said:
Yes, fire regs. The wall has to withstand 30 mins.
S

Ah, seems odd on an detached out building.

Not if any part of the building is within 1m of the boundary, then buildings regs requires a degree of resistance to fire - though whether this is to protect your neighbours from your building, or your building from Your neighbours is not really clear to me. If no part of the building is within a 1m then I would agree that is a little odd.

Terry.

Back