Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did consider doing exactly that, Bob, (well, the lead bit anyway), but this is working out very well indeed. And as you say. compared with £35 each for dry ridge tiles, it's a no brainer. Not even terribly slow once we have the former made.
S

Steve Maskery":3zdbn99s said:
Well I did think of that, Rob, But the cutting of the edges is not perfect in the round, so it's easier to get them nice and square when they are flat. Plus, I can cut them to length to fit exactly if we find that the tiles are running out a bit. The tiles appear to run out by about 20mm over the length of the ridge, so it's not perfect, but it's not bad, either, and we an tweak the tiles to suit.
We were hoping to cut the ridge tiles to 610mm, but the heat gun is not suitable for such a large area and that is also too big to go in my oven.

Gotcha. Its a great idea I have to say and in fact if you could deal with any sun related discolouration (different plastic formulation perhaps) it does actually sound like it may deserve to be a commercial product. It would be amazingly useful if it was infinitely flexible along its centre line without compromising its water-proof-ness so it could accommodate different angled ridges. Surely the big firms must have thought of this already and found some limitation in the material or manufacture? But on the surface it sounds like a brilliant solution.

Steve Maskery":3amsgztf said:
Yes there probably will be a bit of fading. But it is designed to be used outside, so there must be some UV protection built into it.

Yes, I'm talking 10 years down the line. A quick lick of gutter paint will add to the life when this happens.

Concrete tiles look rubbish after 5 years anyway and in 10 they'll be green with lichen!

Steve Maskery":3q4195zs said:
Yes there probably will be a bit of fading. But it is designed to be used outside, so there must be some UV protection built into it.

Nice work Steve.

If you keep it plastered in factor 50 it should be o/k :wink:

Pete

I've had a new helper today. Julian is a friend from the Community Workshop. I usually give him a hand on a Tuesday, but the CW is being used for a glass course for the next few weeks so we are playing hookey. I set him on the Great Insulation Installation.

P1020991.JPG

I also had another old friend over on Sunday. We did Our Masters together over a decade ago. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of him, but between us we got almost all of the wiring in place. I've got 4 power points in the ceiling as well as the lighting circuit (so I can mount my air filtration unit, which, fortunately, I still have) and a double socket in every other bay. I won't use them all, of course, but at least wherever I am there should be a free socket within easy reach.

P1020992.JPG

P1020994.JPG

Meanwhile Ray was continuing with the roof. A secondary string line half way up the roof helps to keep him straight. I was cutting tiles and making more ridge tiles, which I have to say, are looking excellent.

P1020995.JPG

P1020996.JPG

And so he has now done about half of the front pitch:

P1020998.JPG

I also took delivery of 20 sheets of 100mm Xtratherm today, so we can start to insulate the roof tomorrow.

Attachments

• P1020991.JPG
    P1020991.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 982
  • P1020992.JPG
    P1020992.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 981
  • P1020994.JPG
    P1020994.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 980
  • P1020995.JPG
    P1020995.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 981
  • P1020996.JPG
    P1020996.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 980
  • P1020998.JPG
    P1020998.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 981
Steve, is that polystyrene insulation? What are you cutting it with? I have experimented and found that a crisply sharpened long knife works best. No serrations, just a flat blade. It makes least mess and cuts well.

HI Graham
It polyurethane foam. I did try a knife to start with but the drag on it was very high. I'm now using a hardpoint saw and it is very effective. There is some dust, but it's not bad.

More same-old-same-old today. Insulation on the inside and Ray up top. We've run out of copper rivets so I hope I can buy a part-box, I need only a couple of hundred and they are expensive.

S

Steve Maskery":frmtmw6u said:
HI Graham
It polyurethane foam. I did try a knife to start with but the drag on it was very high. I'm now using a hardpoint saw and it is very effective. There is some dust, but it's not bad.

More same-old-same-old today. Insulation on the inside and Ray up top. We've run out of copper rivets so I hope I can buy a part-box, I need only a couple of hundred and they are expensive.

S

Try Ebay for stuff like that Steve.

Here ya go http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... s&_sacat=0

Now I have power proper to my shop I have discovered that my large number of sockets (10 UK and 10 Italian) have all gone instantly and I have multipliers in nearly all of them.

Fortunately I already planned to put socket extensions under wall cabinets for example for things like cordless tool charging on little shelves.

I really wish I had thought of ceiling sockets add I have a cluster of four tools in middle of room.

So anyway great forward thinking on the ceiling sockets and I guess don't underestimate the wall ones, easier to get in now!

Another thing that was easy for me to add after with flat roof but you may want to consider before putting in the insulation is putting hooks in key locations in roof that are "reachable", by which I mean less than 9'

I did this in a number of positions and then use a wire loop to hang up my vac hose and sometimes festool power cable where I need.

The stiff wire loop gives me 2 feet extra reach and I can just quickly move the hose exactly where I need and out the way. (Trailing hoses on track saws and routers are a pain)

I only mention as with yours roof design you may find key areas are not under any fixing possibility and you could put the odd batten in before insulation as required.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Much smaller scale. I hang trailing power cables from the garage roof with elasticated hooks. Sort of bungy with a hook at each end. It softens the dramatic stop at the end of the slack.

Meanwhile the shed is coming along very well Steve.
xy

Steve Maskery":10iasyzp said:
HI Graham

S
Steve
Do you still want copper disc rivets?
I have about a 100, your welcome to, just PM me your address.

Bod
Having a clear-out, came across some very old ones, but unused.

Thank you both, I'm sorted for rivets. Ray bought some and StevieB very kindly sent me some, so we have plenty.
I'm just editing and uploading some pics of progress.
S

We've been at it again today, and Julian has been back, too. J and I have been insulating. We have finally used up all the free stuff that I cadged. It's done almost half of the walls. Sorry about the blur, it's getting dark in there and the exposure is a bit long for panoramas:

20141007_151731.jpg

Meanwhile Ray has had a fairly miserable day on the roof:

P1020999.JPG

It didn't help me cutting two large tiles wrongly, in succession. The problem was that we have bought some more of the large one (600 x 600) and they are a different batch to the originals. On the originals it was obvious which face was the front and which the back, but these are much more similar and I had them upside down.

I've also been wearing some new boots. My old ones were wearing out my socks, always in the same place. I got holes in 4 pairs in 4 days. So I've splashed out on some DeWalts with Dickies socks. Very nice. Very nice indeed. Rec'd.

Anyway, the build now looks like this and I need to take a trip to the tip with a couple of bags of PU dust.

P1030001.JPG

Steve

Attachments

• 20141007_151731.jpg
    20141007_151731.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 940
  • P1020999.JPG
    P1020999.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 941
  • P1030001.JPG
    P1030001.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 939
Good day today.
My friend Akram came over to help and this time I stole a shot of him.

P1030004.JPG

Akram is a friend from university days, it's been good to catch up. He's done a lot of insulation work, but with the full sheets it goes very much quicker.

P1030003.JPG

We've also done a bit of wiring for the tablesaw, made another couple of ridge tiles and generally been very productive

Ray's been up top again and it should have been a quick job, but it's been raining in heavy bursts, and as he put the very last tile on it absolutely threw it down. He descended looking like a drowned rat.

He had to do the last bit off the scaffolding as there was not much room to work.

P1030002.JPG

And this is the end result.

P1030006.JPG

P1030007.JPG

P1030008.JPG

Now, does that look good or does that look good? Ok there is the odd kink, but that is mainly from the trusses, and considering all his previous roof work has been with clay tiles and this is the first time he'd used these Cementite things, I think it's pretty darned impressive.

There will probably be a bit of a hiatus now, I think he wants a well-deserved break from it.

Attachments

• P1030004.JPG
    P1030004.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 832
  • P1030003.JPG
    P1030003.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 824
  • P1030002.JPG
    P1030002.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 823
  • P1030006.JPG
    P1030006.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 823
  • P1030007.JPG
    P1030007.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 824
  • P1030008.JPG
    P1030008.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 823
Good grief for a moment their I read "My friend Akram came over to help and this time I shot him" :shock:

It's going to be a superb!

Roof looks great Steve! Is the other side done too? If so it's just in time as I gather that this month could be a bit wet!

Back