Step stool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I'm back in workshop mode I'll show you what I'm making.

This little stool is by Mario Rodriguez from FWW Builing Small Projects. It 10 inches high, 10 wide and 14 in length - the legs are mortised into the top at 10 degrees with wedged tenons.

Stool.jpg

I prepared the top to size 4 years ago! But have never got around to chopping the mortices until this week. The top is English cherry and the legs + stretcher will be American black walnut (I'm trying to use up some of the wood I've accumulated so SWMBO won't roll her eyes so often when she sees the stack).

WIPS to follow.

Looks good. I made something very similar (based on the same design) last year in brown oak. But, it was only 18mm thick in the end, as it was all I had. I'd like to one day make one again, but from thicker timber.

Are you sticking with the full 25mm thickness?

Olly,

Did it feel solid in 18mm?

I'm sticking with 25mm. Hence the ABW legs and stretcher - I don't have anymore 25mm English Cherry.

Mortices are drilled and chopped in the top. Legs etc in stick while I wait for them to settle before bringing to final dimension. Note to self - post pictures of jigs!

I don't have a TS so can't use MR's technique for the angled shoulders. Looks like a job for "handskillsman" :roll: Did you bother with shoulders or stick all 18mm through the mortices?

Having been thinking about this project for 4+ years it's good to get started on it!
Phil

Looks good. This ...

DSC_1245.JPG

is made out of 15mm so I wouldn't worry about 18, but it depends on the aesthetics. Not mastered Sketchup Yet?

I made the same thing a couple of years ago....

As someone who is is 'learning', self teaching, its a great little project, as long as you take your time...

I made mine from 25mm beech....though with one curious 'design flaw' ( otheriwse know as dumb mistake) the wedges are 90 degrees out in the top !!!

Mmmm. Three nice variations on a theme. I particularly like the 90 degree wedge rotation - shows I'm not the only one to do something wrong. :lol:

Seriously though I like both Tom and Rob's stools. Thanks for showing them.

Cheers Phil. I wasn't suggesting it as an alternative, just showing the thinner material. Mine was meant for my daughter to sit/stand on so maybe us full size donut eating adults might need more chunk ;)

Good Surname or what ?":13p6ode6 said:
Olly,

Did it feel solid in 18mm?

Yes, 18mm feels very solid - the wedged tenons really help to pull it all together! :wink: I was only thinking from an aesthetic point of view, that thicker components could make it look even better.

Here's the thread, by the way. :)

Well I've made some progress and have had some mishaps. So here are a fews WIPs to illustrate the problems and solutions.

The sloping mortices.
All the M&Ts are at 10 degrees so I built this ramp to use on the pillar drill. Shown here drilling the mortices in a leg for the stretcher tenons.

P6190122.jpg

The cheap Axminster Forstner bits aren't a patch on the Clico one I have. Shame it's too big for this job.

I never managed to clamp this chisel guide securely enough that it didn't move - even with two clamps. So I've reverted to just one and constant checking to see it hasn't moved. The front face is angled at 10 degrees to guide the two sloping faces of the mortice.

P6190123.jpg

The tenons.
There are three on each leg that need 3mm shoulders at 10 degrees as that's the angle the legs make with the top. Mario Rodriguez cuts the cheeks with a table saw and then cleanups with a chisel.

I have no table saw but I do have a couple of beautiful saws from Mike Wenzloff and some sharp chisels

P6180116.jpg

Putting it together.

Nice tight fit of the legs into the top. Though I should have cut the tenons a tad longer. There's not much to take off these.

P6180120.jpg

Un-nice tights tenons on stretcher!

P6190124.jpg

About a third of this split is on the glue line.

P6190125.jpg

I'd hoped to finish this yesterday but last night I left these in clamps!

Phil,
Have you thought of making the legs with two sections, and leaving a 10mm gap down the centre. (Design feature, rather than a nasty happening!)

Regards
John :)

An interesting use of contrasting timbers.

Good to see you cut all the wedges in the right direction the first time (...I didn't, one mine :oops:).

I assume you replaced that split leg with a new piece of walnut?

Nice work and glad to see that I am not the only one who has such mishaps!! :D

Back