Step stool for kids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Einari Rystykaemmen

Established Member
Reaction score
Our kids has started to climb to the kitchen table top when they want something from cabinets (like mug or whatever). They used to drag one of the chairs from kitchen table to cabinet and use it to reach high enough.

As you can imagine, it can be dangerous and chair does not "like" to be dragged around our flat like that.

It was time to build step stool for kids. SWMBO wanted design to be as light as possible (not the weight, but design itself :) ) and it must match current color and materials of our kitchen. After few design versions (with SketchUp), SWMBO gives me green light and I build a step stool like this.
jakkara1.jpg

jakkara2.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any WIP pictures as the building was very simple and straightforward. Just few minutes with table saw and bandsaw... :wink:

Used materials was baltic birch and oak. I used white Tikkurila's Helmi - furniture paint and Osmo Top Oil for finishing.

Hi Einari

Nice looking step

one question , has it any internal stiffening to stop it collapsing sideways ?

I cant see any from the front photos ?

Thanks, Blister.

No, it has not.

I was wondering same thing and I may have to add some support later, if necessary. I tested it myself (92 kg) by "swinging" my weight side to side (several "test sessions" during construction). It didn't bend at all, at least I coudn't feel or see it.

This stool geometrics resist bending, because COG is pretty much middle of the stool when stepping on it, even on first step.

Joints was done with lamello, three #20 pieces side by side on all joints. Joints was glued with epoxy. I believe glue layers are much stronger than wood itself.

In theory it might collapse. I will monitor its durability regulary, but I don't think there will be any problems (quality epoxy is quite nice stuff). In the end, max weight on it will be around 20 kg's and it's not a toy where to play on. :wink:

goldeneyedmonkey":3tp6rck2 said:
ER: Your kitchen units look very crisp, is this your own design/build? Do you have any pictures you can share with us?

Hi Dan,

My wife designed our kitchen and it was build by 3rd party company. I was too lazy/busy to build it myself. :D

Here are couple of pics, which actually shows better the step stool design and choose of materials for the kitchen... :wink:
kitch01.jpg

kitch02.jpg

Huomenta (Good Morning :) ) Davin,

Yes, they have many quality products though very expensive as well... Especially their furniture paints are top quality products.

Cheers!

ER

Very nice, your kids will be looking to wash the dishes next, with water splashing everywhere :shock:
Is that a raised dishwasher to the right of the sink, good idea.

Michael

Michael7":2ytoh27b said:
Very nice, your kids will be looking to wash the dishes next, with water splashing everywhere :shock:
They do that already. Before step stool they drag one of kitchen table chairs beside sink and start splashing... :lol:

Michael7":2ytoh27b said:
Is that a raised dishwasher to the right of the sink, good idea.

Michael

Yes it is. It helps when loading/unloading dishes into machine. This also gives some additional storage space under dishwasher. :wink:

Cheers!

ER

Back