step by step guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
if there is enough interest i would be prepared to put together a 'How i do it' guide if it will help the newbies that are joining, it will entail going through making the pattern to the finished cutting..
Please leave your comments in this thread please..

stevebuk":11rcsyj7 said:
hi
if there is enough interest i would be prepared to put together a 'How i do it' guide if it will help the newbies that are joining, it will entail going through making the pattern to the finished cutting..
Please leave your comments in this thread please..
An Excellent idea Steve if you have the time and it might be made Sticky. :idea:

+ 1 yes please ! if you want to stop a grown man crying and putting a sledge hammer through his laptop then do it ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We get a regulat flow of newbies and they tend to ask the same questions, which in understandable so I think you have hit on a winner there Steve. If you need any extra imput don't hesitate to ask. Its a brilliant idea.

Sticky Glue awaits for the thread or better still as a collection of links to similar WIP if members can contribute a useful resource.

Wow, I didn't expect so many people saying yes, ok I will sort out a few bit first then open 2 new threads, one for the tutorial only and the other for any questions you have regarding it..
Thanks to Chas for making it a sticky..

What a great idea Steve. As someone just starting out with his first bandsaw, learning about how it all ticks and wanting to learn about making bandsaw boxes and making joints in wood, this is right up my street.

I would like to know about the best woods to use, combining woods and making shapes, how to cut and what to watch out for, like the odd finger rolling off the table, I am eagerly awaiting more information.

Alex

Just having a think there......

As a newbie to scroll saws (it's still to arrive) I think I would personally benefit from a description on blades.
Stuff like the different sizes and what they maybe used for and blade types, spiral, reverse, skip tooth etc maybe speeds also... I know not everyone has variable speed saws but quite a few are 2 speed.

I realise you may not be putting that in the guide, just thinking out loud really :)

Jmac80":202gi5qv said:
Just having a think there......

As a newbie to scroll saws (it's still to arrive) I think I would personally benefit from a description on blades.
Stuff like the different sizes and what they maybe used for and blade types, spiral, reverse, skip tooth etc maybe speeds also... I know not everyone has variable speed saws but quite a few are 2 speed.

I realise you may not be putting that in the guide, just thinking out loud really :)

HI James,

I'm also a newbie to scroll sawing, but have found a lot of videos on blades and what to use for what woods and thicknesses as a result of which I have just ordered some 'Flying Dutchman' b;lades from the USA. These are supposed to be the best around. If you 'Google' scroll saw blades video, you should get to see lots.

I am looking forward to Steve's lessons.

Alex

Alexam":1c0j4kny said:
I am looking forward to Steve's lessons.

Alex

And thereby hangs a tale, having looked at Martins thread which leads you to several video's of 'how to' make patterns using assorted software i am now not sure what is it you want as i don't use those type of patterns so therefore don't make them, all i was going to do was show how i make my name plaques with trimmings so you could quite easily make something to get you started, did you still want me to do that...?? :?:

It wasn't my intention to put you off, Steve. A tutorial for plaques will be just what some new scrollers need. Even with the videos, making portrait patterns is advanced, in my opinion.

Back