Startrite T30 spindle moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowhand

Reaction score
Hi there every one. I have a Startrite T30 spindle moulder which has been in storage for about 10 years. When I went to use it just the other day it was completely dead. I checked the obvious fuse ok and power getting to the switch gear, but that's as far as I can go as I don't understand the electrics. Does any body know of a company here in the south west (Somerset) that repair Startrite machines. Thanks for any suggestions.

Welcome to the forum 🙃
You probably arent all that far from yandles.... maybe ask there? They are bound to know local electrical engineers etc

I believe that one was made by Robland - try them.

Having said that, this sounds like a generic switchgear type problem, so any electrically handy person should be able to tackle it.

There might be an interlock switch preventing starting, eg if a door is open, or a cover not latched in. Check the simple things like that first.

Open the switchgear and give it a good blow down with an airline and then make sure all the connections are tight and try it again, woodworking machinery has a habit of getting dust in places that cause problems or rattling things loose.

I have opened the switch gear box and found that there are 4 buttons (marked on the photo with white dots)which if pushed in with an screw driver, the motor starts, but stops when released. any idea how to solve the problem? also I don't know what the little orange button does as it turns.

Attachments

• switch gear on spindle moulder.jpg
    switch gear on spindle moulder.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
Power isn’t getting to the energiser coil, it’s either an open circuit coil or the over current relay isn’t working properly, or stop / emergency stop button is pressed in.
The suggested relay isn’t the right one for your application.
If it’s not just the emergency stop button that needs releasing; with the level of questions you’re asking, you need a qualified industrial electrician to sort it out for you.
You can smell gas long before it becomes dangerous and nobody dreams of servicing a gas appliance; electricity tends to just kill you if you get it wrong. It doesn’t smell, make a noise or any warning, just cooks your insides instantly.
I’m not trying to be clever or difficult, just very aware of the consequences of tinkering.

I could well be wrong but I think you may have a overload reset button, a white oblong bit of plastic next to the orange wheel. You say your machine was stored for 10 years, it may have just tripped due to everything being tight. For a press of a button, it maybe worth a punt.

Power isn’t getting to the energiser coil, it’s either an open circuit coil or the over current relay isn’t working properly, or stop / emergency stop button is pressed in.
The suggested relay isn’t the right one for your application.
If it’s not just the emergency stop button that needs releasing; with the level of questions you’re asking, you need a qualified industrial electrician to sort it out for you.
You can smell gas long before it becomes dangerous and nobody dreams of servicing a gas appliance; electricity tends to just kill you if you get it wrong. It doesn’t smell, make a noise or any warning, just cooks your insides instantly.
I’m not trying to be clever or difficult, just very aware of the consequences of tinkering.
Hi deema, i took the numbers off the o.p pik and typed it in ebay.... for my future knowledge, where did i go wrong? Thanks, kev

The over current relay that is comes with has a range of currents that’s far too small. It will trip virtually immediately

Back