Startrite 352E or Hammer N3800

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool! good for you Bob!! congrats!!!!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it massively. please let me know how you are getting on with it.
especially if the machine manages the 1" blade well.
how long to deliver?
cheers,
Philipp

I'll accept your invitation.
only not sure where you live. thought you said sheffield but your data says hampshire. opposite directions from leamington.
either way, if i'm in the neighbourhood, I'll give you a bell.
cheers.

hello all!!

So, Bob!!
how is it sawing?
did your BS400 settle in alright?
after a long back and forth I went for the.........N4400.
I had to dig deep for that one and with the help of some retraining funds I could afford the one I really wanted.
just waiting for sparky to install the leads for me on monday. can't wait !!!!!
with it I went for the Jet DC1100A dust collector which will be sitting in the cellar out of the way.
at the moment I'm building a garden wood storage/slide/house/swing/climbing frame for my boys and guess what I am thinking many a times,
bum, wouldn't it be really handy if the band saw would start up, ha!!

anyway, hope you are good.

best,
Philipp.

Fantastic thread guys, thank you :)

Still hasn't helped me choose between a Startrite 502/Jet 18Q/Hammer N4400 mind.........

Any further learned input for a newbie would be greatly appreciated please !

Wizard9999":3rgvufyh said:
orchard":3rgvufyh said:
Fantastic thread guys, thank you :)

Still hasn't helped me choose between a Startrite 502/Jet 18Q/Hammer N4400 mind.........

Any further learned input for a newbie would be greatly appreciated please !

Don't stop there Orchard, R.O.Bob's bandsaw journey carried on here...

record-power-bs400-bandsaw-review-t78828.html

Happy reading.

Hahaha, thanks for the link mate :)

Just as an update. 7 months on and I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever about buying the BS400. It has performed flawlessly. I've had the 1" 1.3tpi ripper blade from Tuffsaw's installed almost constantly since the start and its just a total and utter animal for slicing and dicing green timber off the log. I also really like the jockey wheel kit. Very simple to move around whereas the smaller bandsaw's tend to have the pedal arrangement integrated with the stand. The wheels on those kits are not man enough to hold the weight of the machines and eventually buckle after being used for a while.

You're really not helping Bob, nor is the lack of Jet/Hammer/Startrite contributors... ;)

Irrationally, I really don't want to opt for a RP machine, however it's 2/3rd the cost of any other i've been looking at and possibly better...

Thanks for all your hard work on both threads.

*ps please don't ban me if i end up with a hammer N4400 ;)

Random Orbital Bob":18hemdls said:
Just as an update. 7 months on and I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever about buying the BS400. It has performed flawlessly. I've had the 1" 1.3tpi ripper blade from Tuffsaw's installed almost constantly since the start and its just a total and utter animal for slicing and dicing green timber off the log. I also really like the jockey wheel kit. Very simple to move around whereas the smaller bandsaw's tend to have the pedal arrangement integrated with the stand. The wheels on those kits are not man enough to hold the weight of the machines and eventually buckle after being used for a while.

Peter Sefton":w5ib87o1 said:
Just to say I have the Hammer N4400 in the school workshop which has given us 8 years of good service.
A very happy customer with no regrets.
Thanks Peter, what do you think to its resaw capabilities, given that it doesn't accept 1inch blades please?

orchard":3pfykx0c said:
You're really not helping Bob, nor is the lack of Jet/Hammer/Startrite contributors... ;)

Irrationally, I really don't want to opt for a RP machine, however it's 2/3rd the cost of any other i've been looking at and possibly better...

Random Orbital Bob":3pfykx0c said:

LOL......I wont ban you....you're safe :)

Can I just ask one question which should cut straight to the nub of this:

Are you a hobbyist (which includes extreme enthusiasm and is in no way demeaning on any level) or do you expect industrial level use? The reason for that question is that the specification differences between the BS400 and either the Felder or Startrite kit is almost entirely down to how much use is intended. I think anyone arguing that the BS400 is "better" then either a Felder or Startrite is possibly a bit of a looney because those machines are industrial grade bandsaws. However, and its a big however, the BS400 has the same IF NOT MORE capacity than the Hammer/Startrite entry level saw's and yet it's significantly less expensive.

At the very end of my machinations on this (which were VERY thorough I promise you) I realised one universal truism which is there was no way on God's green earth I would use a bandsaw to the extent that it needed to be industrially rated. Peter runs a furniture school where students are using his plant on a daily basis, year in year out. He NEEDS a Hammer because its going to last. All of these machines cut well, if you don't believe that take a real close look at the review I did and double click the images of the sawn timber. The Record cuts absolutely flawlessly every time as along a you have a decent quality blade installed etc. But the Hammer and Startrite are more likely to last longer given a heavier and more frequent workload and that's why they cost a dam site more.

So it comes down to a simple choice one which is practical and measurable, one which is social and psychological (what I call bandsaw snobbery). No 1, do you need that continuous use rating? No 2, do you feel more "comfortable" with a higher status machine like a Hammer or Startrite that is European made.

Once I'd overcome the status mental wrestle I went through the choice for me was crystal clear because I do want the capacity (16" and 12" under the guides), I do want a 1" blade, I do want 13amp and I don't want continuous rated motor, hence the BS400 hit the spot. Once it arrived and I used it and it completely destroyed any doubts I had by its outstanding performance, the sort of regret eddy current of not buying a Hammer evaporated. In other words I half expected buyers remorse but in fact didn't experience any.

That "exorcising of the European made demon" makes me objectively narrow the basis of decision down to the specs and price only because I now trust the brand completely.

orchard":3744r9b6 said:
Peter Sefton":3744r9b6 said:
Just to say I have the Hammer N4400 in the school workshop which has given us 8 years of good service.
Thanks Peter, what do you think to its resaw capabilities, given that it doesn't accept 1inch blades please?

I must say I don't do a lot of Deeping re saw work with timber over 7", not because the bandsaw won't cope just because it can be an expensive way of making fire wood.

Here is some 9" Cedar of Lebanon I cut recently with no problems using a 19mm wide blade.

https://www.facebook.com/woodworkerswor ... =1&theater

The quality/sharpeness and TIP of the blade is all inportant again speak to Ian at Tuff Saws.

The other considerations are how much power has your bandsaw got, how high is your fence and how good are the guides and how well you set it up!

It looks like the BS400 does have a good guide system and should be quick and easy to set up.

A lot of these saws are made in the same factory or do have the same components, the fence on the BS400 is the same as the Hammer when I bought it, it has now been upgraded with a new style which I have also upgraded to.

Cheers Peter

Right Bob, i've almost had enough of this logic business, which, quite frankly, isn't helping, i've a good mind to flag this for the mod's to sort out ;)

I'm a newbie, but have done enough to realise a BS's versatility and importance in a small workshop, and as such, i'd like to buy once and get a good machine that will last and be of sufficient quality and accuracy to take an essential and pivotal role as I learn, and for future use, which may well be low-volume artisanal as we intend to buy a small farm with wood in the next couple of years. However, if resawing reaches a certain volume/size of timber, a horizontal BS will be used too...

One thing before I answer your question, I was looking at (before the RP BS400 spanner got lobbed) Jet JWBS-18Q, Startrite 502E, Minimax S45N, and the Hammer N4400, which aren't all entry level, but your points are still as valid as ever :)

So it comes down to a simple choice one which is practical and measurable, one which is social and psychological (what I call bandsaw snobbery). No 1, do you need that continuous use rating? No 2, do you feel more "comfortable" with a higher status machine like a Hammer or Startrite that is European made.

1. No, it would never be used in an industrial capacity where someone was stationed on the machine continually BS'n 8hrs a day, 5 days a week...although there may be times when i have/want to do a lot of max depth accurate resawing. BTW, does the RP's motor have thermo-protection on the motor please ? Is it a soft-start like the Startrite ?

2. Yes, yes I do ! Ideally i'd like an old Wadkin, but investing in 3-phase, moving it in a few years, and having little space at the moment conspires against this ! Even though we don't have a lot of money to fund this, i'd rather (intuitively) buy an industrial model that was accurate and reliable, future-proof regarding usage, and was capable of taking what it's claimed to be capable of, and enjoys itself whilst doing it!

Yes, it looks like the RP ticks most of my boxes and is less expensive, hence i'm currently resisting what seems like such a good deal, although Mrs orchard thinks you're ace !

As an aside, disregarding the motors, how would you rate the chassis strength/build quality of the five models above please ?

Many thanks for your help and time :)

Random Orbital Bob":37umjbn8 said:
orchard":37umjbn8 said:

Random Orbital Bob":37umjbn8 said:

LOL......I wont ban you....you're safe :)

Can I just ask one question which should cut straight to the nub of this:

Are you a hobbyist (which includes extreme enthusiasm and is in no way demeaning on any level) or do you expect industrial level use? The reason for that question is that the specification differences between the BS400 and either the Felder or Startrite kit is almost entirely down to how much use is intended. I think anyone arguing that the BS400 is "better" then either a Felder or Startrite is possibly a bit of a looney because those machines are industrial grade bandsaws. However, and its a big however, the BS400 has the same IF NOT MORE capacity than the Hammer/Startrite entry level saw's and yet it's significantly less expensive.

At the very end of my machinations on this (which were VERY thorough I promise you) I realised one universal truism which is there was no way on God's green earth I would use a bandsaw to the extent that it needed to be industrially rated. Peter runs a furniture school where students are using his plant on a daily basis, year in year out. He NEEDS a Hammer because its going to last. All of these machines cut well, if you don't believe that take a real close look at the review I did and double click the images of the sawn timber. The Record cuts absolutely flawlessly every time as along a you have a decent quality blade installed etc. But the Hammer and Startrite are more likely to last longer given a heavier and more frequent workload and that's why they cost a dam site more.

Once I'd overcome the status mental wrestle I went through the choice for me was crystal clear because I do want the capacity (16" and 12" under the guides), I do want a 1" blade, I do want 13amp and I don't want continuous rated motor, hence the BS400 hit the spot. Once it arrived and I used it and it completely destroyed any doubts I had by its outstanding performance, the sort of regret eddy current of not buying a Hammer evaporated. In other words I half expected buyers remorse but in fact didn't experience any.

That "exorcising of the European made demon" makes me objectively narrow the basis of decision down to the specs and price only because I now trust the brand completely.

Thanks Peter ! :)

Peter Sefton":mswzgb2d said:
orchard":mswzgb2d said:
Peter Sefton":mswzgb2d said:

I must say I don't do a lot of Deeping re saw work with timber over 7", not because the bandsaw won't cope just because it can be an expensive way of making fire wood.

Here is some 9" Cedar of Lebanon I cut recently with no problems using a 19mm wide blade.

https://www.facebook.com/woodworkerswor ... =1&theater

The quality/sharpeness and TIP of the blade is all inportant again speak to Ian at Tuff Saws.

The other considerations are how much power has your bandsaw got, how high is your fence and how good are the guides and how well you set it up!

It looks like the BS400 does have a good guide system and should be quick and easy to set up.

A lot of these saws are made in the same factory or do have the same components, the fence on the BS400 is the same as the Hammer when I bought it, it has now been upgraded with a new style which I have also upgraded to.

Cheers Peter

I'm not helping am I :)

You sooooooo remind me of me when I was making this decision and your shortlist (minus the minimax) is almost identical to mine. You know the reason I posted this was because I didn't want people to have to suffer the decision making agony I went through :)

The BS does have soft start like the Startrite. No idea about the heat override (but don't forget that lovely 5 year warranty!.........know I'm not helping......Hi Mrs Orchard by the way, imagine how many holidays that price difference could buy....sheesh :)). On chassis size, that was also a biggy for me because it is all related to beam strength. You cant cut straight if your beam strength is poor and the three most direct contributors to it are the tension forces in the chassis, the tension on the blade via the tensioning assembly and the blade itself. I personally eyeballed and closely inspected all the saws on my shortlist and was comfortable that every one of them had enough mass in their design to withstand the forces on the blade. Startrite even make some claim in their collateral that if I recall correctly, their tensioning spring is tested to 20,000 lb's per sq inch.

I know you want one of the European machines....and if you feel comfortable denying your good lady wife, who has shown you nothing but devotion and love throughout your marriage, then you should get one :)

You're on to a winner here, in that you'll be well pleased whatever you choose. Amongst bandsaws at this level there really aren't too many dogs, it's not like contractor table saws where there are some real shockers to be avoided.

I've owned a Record BS300 and now have a Hammer N4400, I've also used a few different Startrites, provided the blade is good and the machine's correctly set up then they're all capable of excellent work.

As to the question about 20mm vs 25mm blades, it's a non issue, you won't notice any difference in real life applications. In any event, you should take manufacturers ratings with a huge pinch of salt!

Latest posts

Back