Startrite 352 bandsaw blade guides.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter7

Reaction score
Hi
I have a Startrite 352 bandsaw and want to upgrade the blade guides to those with bearings. I have seen somewhere that those supplied by Axminster can be adapted to fit the Startrite but I can't see how to do this. I called in to my 'local' Axminster today and they were very helpful but they couldn't see how to achieve this either. A 'phone call to the head office produced a less than helpful response. i.e. "We won't advise you which ones to buy so if it goes wrong it is your problem" seemed to be the gist of their advice.
If anyone has successfully adapted Axminster guides could you let me know which ones were used and how it is done. Photo's would be a great help.
Alternatively can anyone suggest an alternative source for suitable bearing guides that are reasonably priced.
Many thanks.
Peter

I would have to agree with Dick, I think your proposed "upgrade" would be exactly the opposite !

Simple, functional engineering and material choice at it's best I reckon with the original solid guides :)

My original guides have been on for 35 years or more and don't look as though they'll need changing in the near future, though the side ones could perhaps do with the bolt hole filing out - to get them a bit closer.

If you read the thread Jacob you will see they are an upgrade.
Probably because they have lower friction when cutting curves.

Pete

Thank you to all those who replied. I would be interested to know the basis for the suggestions that changing from solid blocks to bearing guides might be a retrograde step. Do modern manufacturers still fit block guides to bandsaws? Those that I have seen at Axminster all appear to use bearings so I assume, rightly or wrongly, that manufacturers believe that there are benefits in using bearings.
For the small cost involved I am certainly going to try Pete's £5 conversion. It appears simple but I doubt that I would have worked it out for myself!
Pete - could you tell me the specification of the bearings and size of washers if possible as the link to the supplier did not work for me?

Peter7":2efyq2e1 said:
Thank you to all those who replied. I would be interested to know the basis for the suggestions that changing from solid blocks to bearing guides might be a retrograde step. Do modern manufacturers still fit block guides to bandsaws? Those that I have seen at Axminster all appear to use bearings so I assume, rightly or wrongly, that manufacturers believe that there are benefits in using bearings.
For the small cost involved I am certainly going to try Pete's £5 conversion. It appears simple but I doubt that I would have worked it out for myself!
Pete - could you tell me the specification of the bearings and size of washers if possible as the link to the supplier did not work for me?

I don't think guide blocks are that bad to be honest but you're quite right, few, if any manufacturers use blocks these days. Startrite, Axminster, Warco and many others now use bearings on modern bandsaws. Carter industries in the USA also have a business selling bearing bandsaw guides. Sadly importing them is prohibitively expensive. :cry:

Photobucket is down at the moment but when it's back up I'll post a picture of the guides I made for my bandsaw.

Here's it is in bits so you can see how it's made.

IMGP3993_zpsskls9w6a.jpg

Bandsaw%20Guide_zpsdcsuwfth.jpg

When I worked in a school and we had two 352s we bought roller guides from Scott and Sargent. Top guide fitted quickly to the post but it was a bit more involved to install the bottom guide so we never bothered. Found it much quicker to adjust the guide and the saws saw a lot of use.

I had a chat with the startrite rep at Yandles last year and asked whether the bearing guides on the machine he was demonstrating were a recommended retrofit for a 352. He said they weren't, and that for the 352 he wouldn't bother anyway. He said that roller bearings were great on large machines, but not a significant upgrade on a smaller one.

Not quite on topic, but relevant. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy replacement ?tungsten carbide? pads that could be brazed on in place of very battered rear guides on a 352?

dickm":117penmc said:
Not quite on topic, but relevant. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy replacement ?tungsten carbide? pads that could be brazed on in place of very battered rear guides on a 352?

I am very successfully using square tct tips stuck on to the ends of rod using JB Weld. I made up a couple of spares in case they came unstuck but not happened yet. The TCT hasn't worn at all.

Bob

dickm":v83b6z5f said:
Thanks, Bob. Where did you get the TCT tips, as a matter of interest?

I used some I already had but got them off ebay a while ago. Just look for carbide tips and theres a choice of various sizes and shapes. I did consider trying some with countersunk centre holes and drilling and tapping the bar for a screw but the JB Weld worked so well I haven't need to.

These ones are approx 3.5mm thick and 12.5 square but I would have used round thinner ones if I need to buy them. Bar is just 10mm mild steel.
One in the pic has been used but as you can see whilst the lasered markings are wearing off there has been no grooving caused by the blade so 100% success in my view.

Most of the tooling suppiers sell them as I think they are used on scribing saws and moulding blocks.

cheers
Bob

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 53