Startrite 301 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbsb33

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I am looking for a band saw for general use and shaping some bowl blanks.
One has popped up local to me so would be handy if any good.
Has anyone got or have experience of a Startrite 301.
I think I read somewhere that the motor was a bit low powered ?
Any opinions or advice would be appreciated including price guide for a really tidy machine.

Regards Tim

I would agree. On the one I used the motor was gutless [1/2hp I think], so we used the cheap 2 wheel Dewalt machines we had instead.
The blade also ran on forever when the power was turned off. I think they made the band wheels heavy to try and get some momentum up to compensate for lack of power. The rest of the machine was well built and heavy for its size.
How about a 352 instead. I bought one new 5 or 6 years ago and it is a totally different machine. 2hp, solid and accurate. £600 might get a decent 2nd hand one if you wait your time.

Colin

Hi Colin
Thanks for your reply.
I have heard that the 352 is a good machine, nice to hear from someone who has used both machines.
I think the 352 is too much for me at the moment but will keep an eye out for one and keep saving in the meantime.
Rather do without than get something inadequate.

Regards Tim

Tim,
the other alternative if the 301 is cheap and you are OK with electrics ,would be to fit a bigger motor. This may also have a knock on effect with switchgear though.

Colin

ps, another thought. It was the earlier Bandit derived 301's I used that had the smaller gutless motor. If the 301 is one of the latest made it could have a 1hp motor on it.

tbsb33":1ll3dvyn said:
Hi all
I am looking for a band saw for general use and shaping some bowl blanks.
One has popped up local to me so would be handy if any good.
Has anyone got or have experience of a Startrite 301.
I think I read somewhere that the motor was a bit low powered ?
Any opinions or advice would be appreciated including price guide for a really tidy machine.

Regards Tim

If it really is that local to you why not take a bowl blank along and try it out, I am sure the owner would not mind, if he does mind, that would give you a good indication of its condition, steer clear.

Mike

Hi Colin / Mike
The owners manual shown with this bandsaw states 0.55kw ( .75 hp)
The asking price is £400.00 which doesn't sound cheap to me but I have only just started looking
so haven't built up a picture of prices yet.
If the price seems ok I will ask to try the saw as it is very local.
Any thoughts on the price would be appreciated.
It is advertised as well looked after and the pictures seem to confirm that.

Thanks
Tim

I bought a second hand Record Power BS350 off a member on here at £400.00 and am very happy with it, have a look through the "For Sale" thread to see if anything is there.

Mike

I'm also looking for a similar type of bandsaw, mostly for shaping bowl blanks. Needs to be able to take an 8-12" half log - throat. Suggestions please.

This is just general advice as I am not familiar with the brands of saw in the UK. In general I have found after a few bandsaws that horsepower counts. First one was a 3 wheeler and soon drove me nuts. Then I t got a 14'' bandsaw to cut bowl blanks thinking I was getting serious. Was 1/2 HP and a disappointment. Stuck a 1HP motor on it so a bit better but it only had 6'' depth of cut. Upgraded to a 2HP and 10'' depth of cut saw. Does almost all I want but there are times something even bigger would be nice but of course budget is always a factor. For anyone starting out and thinking what to buy think big and save longer. Its cheaper in the long run.
Now to bowl blanks. The big secret is they do not really need to be round. Just knock off the corners and a big gouge does the rest on the lathe. Bandsaw blades last a lot longer too.
Regards
John

We sold loads of the original 301s made in Gillingham and I don’t mean to sound negative but….The guides on the Startrite 301 weren’t that good, the table on the early ones was pressed steel, (not cast). Check the band wheel condition too: they were vulcanised onto a pressed steel blank too, so they would be difficult to get into good nick.

Back