Startrite 14-S-5 Tyres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpercysnodgrass

Established Member
Reaction score
My 14-S-5 tyres have become damaged and need replacing, I have swapped the top and bottom wheels over which has improved the tracking for now. I have looked and can't find anyone that replaces the rubber. I found Urethane bandSaw tyres on ebay but they only seem to come from the USA.
Does anybody know where I can get these wheels resurfaced in the UK and approximately how much.
Is it possible to use the urethane tyres, if so is this a better solution than the original rubber and do I take off the existing rubber or can they go on top.

I had a 14S5, lovely saws.
I never found anyone who could revolcanise the wheels. MachineSpares sell new wheels so there must be somewhere to get it done.

I used the bottom wheel, with no blade and a block with sand paper on to recut the wheel at a slow speed. Takes a little time but if you have a square block and position it at 3 o clock you avoid any tracking of the wheel. I free handed a slight crown.

Test one of your existing blades to make sure you can still get tension otherwise get Tuff Saws to make you custom blade length.

Alternatively if you have access to a lathe you can do it on that.

They were designed to be recut a few times.

I was looking for someone to re-do the wheels on my 352, found this company:
B.H. Leake & Sons Ltd
They quoted me these prices:
12” type wheel £57.94 ea (+ vat)
14” type wheel £62.50 ea (+ vat)
16” type wheel £80.65 ea (+ vat)
Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ferenc

I only inquired about a price, I didn't change the tyres.
I bought a 352 second hand and after giving it a clean and check found that the tires had no crown but were flat.
I thought about having them re-done but the saw has so far been okay with the flat tyres.

The urethane option is certainly cheaper, not sure how easy it would be to fit them yourself...

I finally got round to sorting out the tyres, it turns out I have about a 1/4" of rubber left on them but somebody had repainted the wheels and painted over the rubber making it look like there was non left! I used Deema's method of sanding them with a block and 80g mirka Abranet, worked a treat and my blade is now tracking correctly again. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Back