Starter lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eribaMotters

Established Member
Reaction score
I have avoided the "need" to buy a woodwork lathe for many years. I am not attracted to turning items for the love of it, but do so occasionally when need arises for the cabinet and joinery work I prefer.

My question is am I thinking along the correct lines in looking out for a 2nd hand Record, or possibly a small Jet. An expandable chuck of some type would also I think be a good idea, as obviously is a revolving/live centre, driving? centre and 4 or 5 decent chisels.

I am based in Westcliff-on-sea, Essex.

Colin

Colin

Yes, you're right as in the tools you'll need, a few different gouges and chiesels,

If it's just spindle turning you're going to be doing then a small Record or Jet lathe will be fine as long as the bed is long enough for your projects ie table legs and the like.

But if you intend to turn large bowls you would need to go to a more substantial machine with a Chuck and face plates etc.

For spindle turning you can get away with just centers, but lathe work is like everything else in woodwork "You can never have enough stuff"

Bill

Evening Collin
I am no pro but I dabble in the black art . I started off with a free NU-TOOL lathe and was fine to start with and its faults misleads you to believe you are at fault .

Since then I was given a Record DML-36-SH . It has a 36" bed and a swiveling head , It also has an extra with it that allows you to turn the head outwards 90 degree to turn bigger bowls and gives you another position the tool rests . It will turn about 9 or 10 inch over the bed .

I dont use the legs but keep the rest built together and bolt down temporarily to my workbench when needed and stowed upright when not needed .

Dusty

I have just come across the Scheppach dmt 450. It looks the same as the JET and Axminster equivalents, but the close up photos show a better finish than the Axi.
Anybody out there come across one of these?

Colin

Back