Start of a new project update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graigmerched

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the first butterfly platter in production. I used a screw chuck to hold it on the lathe to turn the bottom. I guessed the center of gravity wasn't in the waist and I guessed right. I'm going to invent a "centre of gravity ommeter". I'll make a fortune methinks.

The first picture shows the butterfly platter embryo on the lathe ready to be turned. I wish the tree feller had kept the whole of the outside of the log on but beggars can't be choosers.

The second pic shows the platter in motion. The base has been finished and it is being held on a spigot using heavy gripper jaws in an axminster chuck. I'm just starting to turn the centre of the bowl shape.

I'm amazed that my camera managed to catch the invisible effect. It's spinning at around 450 revs when the pic was taken. Sounds like a propellor.

Please note it is dangerous if you aren't careful, so if you are new to turning please don't attempt this at home unless you are sure you know what you are doing. I hope that doesn't sound condescending.

Best regards

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 633
Steve,

If you had mounted the camera on a tripod and manually set it to a slow shutter speed say 1/2 second or even more, (with the aperture wide open)

It would have been even more visible.

John. B

John. B":10nhyu9c said:
Steve,

If you had mounted the camera on a tripod and manually set it to a slow shutter speed say 1/2 second or even more, (with the aperture wide open)

It would have been even more visible.

John. B

Thanks John. I'll try that next time. Problem was I was using my mobile phone as a camera. I forgot to mention that bit :oops:

Best Regards

Steve

I am enjoying your postings and looking forward to see the butterfly bowl in progress. I really like the pierced work and liked the inlay bowl with the peppers as well. Keep it coming. Is that a Hegner lathe? Thanks DK

dennisk":2mp1ck41 said:
I am enjoying your postings and looking forward to see the butterfly bowl in progress. I really like the pierced work and liked the inlay bowl with the peppers as well. Keep it coming. Is that a Hegner lathe? Thanks DK

Thanks DK,

Yes it is a Hegner lathe, an XL 500.

Regards

Steve

"centre of gravity ommeter"

You can get a good enough approximation by finding the balance point with it on your finger! Or on a piece of dowel in the vice if it is heavy.

Richard

thomvic":2srnccbi said:
"centre of gravity ommeter"

You can get a good enough approximation by finding the balance point with it on your finger! Or on a piece of dowel in the vice if it is heavy.

Richard

Great idea Richard. Now why didn't I think of that? 40 years experience and I have just learnt something new. Thanks.

Best Regards

Steve

Back