Elliptical Turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
Since the subject matter has 'morphed' it seems reasonable to move the 'Tailstock in the way...' discussion to a new thread :)
dcmguy":2m1ul33t said:
Yeah..Volmer was no slouch... I think he was a professor ..but not 100% clear.
Yes - at the Technical University of Chemnitz
It was his drawing at section 4.3 of his web-site that I used as the basis for my design.
His design (Fig. 7005) for a set of 6 bowls on a platter is an ambition!
As for conic sections... diverting significantly from topic here ...but I've been quite interested in trying to apply the maths relating to the 2-dimensional effect of passing a notional hollow cone through a notional 2-D plane ... and then trying to extend everything by a dimension to form a mathematical framework for gravitational 'events' (such as 'big-bang" theory). No useful outcomes yet, funnily enough.
Even I'm starting to 'glaze over' :)
More prosaically, for a 'nested' solar orbital suite I was thinking of using natural logs to 'normalise' relative distance but also looking to define an outer bound as Halley's Comet ...very much a hybrid of definition and decorative opportunity!
Now you are talking about a visually viable Ellipse - The eccentricity of Halley's Comet is 0.967 which would mean that a major axis of 100mm would have a minor axis of 25.478mm - whereas with Mercury a 100mm Major has a 97.863 Minor hardly noticeable.
Coming back on topic ... when you turn ellipses, may I ask which lathe (assuming not homemade) you use and where you stand (for the inner turning) relative to the bed?
Many on the forum would consider that I cheat :)
I use a Myford Super 7 (Metal-working) lathe therefore I stand in front but the tool (sometimes a standard HSS bar but very often a Dremel or Kress with a Carbide burr) sits on the centre-line. Very seldom do I cut freehand but sanding and finishing is always done at what DS calls the 'point of tranquillity'.
Essentially, Elliptical Turning is 'Ornamental' turning in a very basic form and all ornamental lathes are 'metal-working'.
I used Burbinga, 'Tufnol' and Aluminium as you can see from the attachments which are early photo's and don't show the latest incarnation with variable eccentricity. The chuck isn't attached to the lathe at the minute otherwise I would take some 'current' photo's.
If you have any interest - and have SketchUp (or are happy to install it - it is free) - I can send you the 3D file.

Attachments

• Self-centreing Chuck.png
    Self-centreing Chuck.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 569
  • Chuck Rear.png
    Chuck Rear.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 569
Hello please I am interested to make an ellipse making chuck, can you send me 3d files of the chuck email (mod edit: email deleted).
Best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Moez.

Don't put your personal information like email or phone numbers on forums. You can end up with a lot of junk that way. Put your mouse cursor over his name and start a conversation, private message. That way he will be the only one to see it.

Pete

Hello please I am interested to make an ellipse making chuck, can you send me 3d files of the chuck email (mod edit: email deleted).
Best regards
It's quite some time since I made this - or even looked at the drawings - but I'll review what I have archived and send you a PM - - - it's unlikely to be today but hopefully before next week :)

I'm sure you'll need rather more than 3D files though!

I have found both the files & the time to start a 'conversation' - since you are still showing only 1 posting, I trust that you can find it.

Back