Star Wars (no spoilers please)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":o69fieh6 said:
I've never seen a Bondage film. :oops: :lol: There are a few of us left.

You should, I've heard (from a friend, of course) that they can be quite entertaining. ;-)

Went to a midnight showing and did really enjoy it and want to see it again when I've not been up for 19 hours. That doesn't mean there's bits of the plot I couldn't grumble about though. But then I can moan about the sunshine some times :D So yeah, I'd say if your pondering going but can't handle major disappointment, then you should be safe enough going. The main thing is the new characters are just that: actual characters you can care about.

Don't tell me ET finally managed to phone home? 9-) it was bad enough finding out Mrs Doubtfire was a Man lol

Eric The Viking":2msrj883 said:
monkeybiter":2msrj883 said:
I thought this was supposed to be a 'no spoilers' thread!

So I'd better not tell you that Darth Vader was a Bristolian, then:

"Oi be thy father, Luke."

:lol: Very true.
I met him when I was a kid, he was in his other alter ego The Green Cross Code Man. I'll tell you, as I was a 6 year old he was massive. Picked me up with one hand and Mrs Jarret with other, put both of us on his shoulders.
I read, I'm sure I did, he was crippled up with arthritis in later life.

If the Millennium Falcon had number plates they'd have a Welsh prefix :wink:

n0legs":35ahgcdm said:
If the Millennium Falcon had number plates they'd have a Welsh prefix :wink:

He's not wrong, Pembroke Dock to be precise.

Spoliler free from Feb this year
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-31651845

Found out the other night thanks to the One Show which you would normally have to pay me to watch that the Speeder from the original Star Wars 1977 was built by the Bond Bug people and used mirrors to achieve the hover effect.

YBqYWdt.jpg

Having been made out of sequence I've lost the plot now. The first one (4) was good, I even enjoyed 1,2 and 3 but the other two were pretty dire in places so I can't possibly revisit those again. I'll see it on the telly when it comes round.

Well thats typical of you and your sort, much happier hanging around my neighbours back garden.

woodpig.jpg

Attachments

• woodpig.jpg
    woodpig.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 661
I saw it on thursday and all I can say is "hmmm, did any of the scriptwriters actually see the previous 6 films?". I had a discussion with someone who wasn't going to see it so I could tell all and I counted close to a dozen glaring holes that anyone who KNEW the franchise and all the lore that goes with it would be able to point to one or more of the previous films where it had been done before or where it had taken a disbeleiveable departure from known previously portrayed "realities".

To put it another way - if I had gone to the 12.01 showing and all the costs involved (high proced tickets and taxis home) which would have come to about £40 - I would NOT have been happy with JJ abram's offering.

Just got back from seeing it and very much enjoyed it. It did feel a lot like an updated New Hope though and a lot of similar story lines to previous films, but that's not a terrible thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came out with a sense of mild disappointment tbh. They did get some things right (using unknown actors, less CGI than the last 3 films) but the plot was lacking ( can't really say more without spoiling) and was really disappointed with the "baddies"

DiscoStu":3drlnvun said:
Just got back from seeing it and very much enjoyed it. It did feel a lot like an updated New Hope though and a lot of similar story lines to previous films, but that's not a terrible thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is, the whole point of it was supposed to be a continuation of the chracters after the destruction of the Emporer, adding the next generation of force sensitives could have been done in other ways, even including many parts of the film, but for me the rehashed sections of old storylines made it feel like "a new hope, redone for a new generation" not "the continuing saga of the star wars universe".

I mean there have been literally dozens of books and comics and all manner of other things created by people fleshing out the star wars universe, the majority of which won't have been read by all but the most fanatical fans (I've read maybe 3)

they could have used any and all of that material and made a proper sequel, but they didn't.

JSW":247vmfzp said:
"Awesome!!!" Seriously?? I'm in denial over the new one, followed the entire franchise from a young man through the steady decline in good writing and believable storyline, the killer on this new one for me is two-fold, JJ Abrams seemingly hit and miss run with films (Star Trek Into Darkness was appalling, certainly compared to the immaculate reboot he managed with the first one) and that Goddamned trailer with Han saying to Chewie 'I think we're home!' What!?? Whaaat!?? Han would NEVER say that!!

I'll wait till the dust blows over, If in six months IMDB and Metacritic etc rates it over a 9.0, I *MAY* take the plunge and watch it, till then any spoilers I encounter I will take in my stride.

Just my twopennorth.

If you saw the first Star Wars in 1978 then ........

I watched it the other night on probably the best screen and sound system in Europe...the iMax in the Science Museum. I learned that sitting too close to the screen is not a good idea!

Very much deja vu, TBH, especially if you saw the first one.

Underwhelmed but then let's face it, how can anything compare to that opening sequence in the very first Star Wars? The strange creatures. The quirkiness of things. Since then we've had so many films of varying genre, Star Trek, Mad Max, Terminator ...that there's nothing left to surprise.

I did rather like the new robot though...

Just saw TFA tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was 11 when I queued to see the first film in 1978 and have been a keen watcher of the franchise even enjoying most of the prequels. Hard for any current film to match the impact on that 11-year-old with the startling industry leading effects and concepts but it did a better job than any since TESB.

Loved the new characters and really feel interested in what happens to them. The effects complemented the action nicely and the set pieces rolled along very well. Whilst somewhat familiar it was not cliche'd to my mind and does deliver surprise as well as familiarity.

I think the new film will succeed in its aims of winning a new legion of fans whilst keeping the 50 somethings happy as well. Of course, the dedicated extended universe fans will find plenty to complain about but they are pretty much un-satisfiable.

Back