Planter..WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also used wood hardener as an extra step for the feet of outdoor planters - and something extra that I do; a tip I read somewhere, is to dip them rather than paint it on, but just before dipping run a hot air gun over the foot to warm it up, then dip just before it starts to turn brown - this helps the hardener really get in there, as "good" wood doesn't soak it in quite as well as spongy wood.

I guess you could also use that tip for wood preservative on post legs.

rafezetter":2wehjw1c said:
I've also used wood hardener as an extra step for the feet of outdoor planters - and something extra that I do; a tip I read somewhere, is to dip them rather than paint it on, but just before dipping run a hot air gun over the foot to warm it up, then dip just before it starts to turn brown - this helps the hardener really get in there, as "good" wood doesn't soak it in quite as well as spongy wood.

I guess you could also use that tip for wood preservative on post legs.

Appreciate the tip fella, I'm sure I'll be making be making a couple more of these in future so will try the dipping method.
First time I've used hardener and I was quite surprised how thick a layer it produces, I could really feel it after running my finger
up the bottom part of the leg so gave it a sanding before painting.

I managed to get one put together last night, still a bit to do on it but at least it's freed some space up to work on the second.
With a little luck I might have them both finished for weekend.

The First One.jpg

Attachments

• The First One.jpg
    The First One.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 235
I just need to get a nice image of them both in position at my folks, and job done...

Once the second planter was at the same stage as the first, I drilled and screwed the legs to the panels, then filled each
hole up with dowl. Once dry I trimmed them all with the multi tool, used a little filler where necessary and then a quick
sanding and a couple of coats of paints. I forgot to photograph the bases but I'll take an inside shot before I fill them up
with compost...

Dowl Plugs.jpg

Attachments

• Dowl Plugs.jpg
    Dowl Plugs.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 191
Back