Stanley no 46 Rods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the threaded rods in the Stanley no46 plane are the same as used in any other. I would like to fit mine with short rods and would rather not hack off the ones it came with.
thanks
Simon

I think you'll have to have a shorter set made up.
Might be an idea to have a longer set made as well, at the same time.
Best of all worlds!

Bod

PS ask in the metalwork forum, you never know.

Saint Simon":3rd75k09 said:
Can anyone tell me if the threaded rods in the Stanley no46 plane are the same as used in any other. I would like to fit mine with short rods and would rather not hack off the ones it came with.
thanks
Simon

Can you measure the outside diameter and thread pitch and post them for us?

BugBear

Strange sizes which I thought would be imperial but don't seem to hit the standard fractions or anything in my old Zeus tables. Anyway, in metric:
outside diameter of the rod 9.8mm
od of the thread 7.1mm
and the thread pitch seems to be about 0.907mm
Don't know if that helps?
Simon

Saint Simon":2kdjj2fl said:
Strange sizes which I thought would be imperial but don't seem to hit the standard fractions or anything in my old Zeus tables. Anyway, in metric:
outside diameter of the rod 9.8mm
od of the thread 7.1mm
and the thread pitch seems to be about 0.907mm
Don't know if that helps?
Simon

No metric thread has 0.907, but it converts nicely to 28.00441 TPI, so I think we're in Imperial territory; 1/4" UNF is 28 TPI,
as is 7/32" BSF.

Your 7.1mm OD is closest to 9/32" (7.14mm) which is a BSF standard, but 9/32" BSF is 26 TPI, not 28.

May be (yet another) Stanley special.

(great data here http://www.fullermetric.com/technical/index.aspx )

BugBear

... and more great data here http://www.tttg.org.au/php/tttg_Page.php?n=15&a=37 - but it does concentrate on the 'strange' 9/32" 24 tpi screw thread used on the bench plane handles and does not attempt a survey of sizes on rarer planes such as yours.

Frankly, I think you have a perfectly good reason to buy a second plane for rebating work :wink:

bugbear":31rhxwee said:

I know several companies who do that. It is to ensure you return to them when you want parts. Swagelok springs to mind as one of the most expensive for parts :roll:

MMUK":4pn2s8sr said:
bugbear":4pn2s8sr said:

I know several companies who do that. It is to ensure you return to them when you want parts. Swagelok springs to mind as one of the most expensive for parts :roll:

Not in this case - Stanley designs predate widespread thread standardisation.

BugBear

Back