Stanley No. 110

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revwayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this old plane? It appears to be a low angle block plane. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you for the reply. That was an interesting page. I just rehabilitated the plane and thought I'd test it on some end grain work.

Totally off-topic Rev, but are you anywhere near Milledgeville/Covington?

I've never been to Georgia, but I've always wondered about visiting the grave of the great Blind Willie McTell, one of my musical heroes!

Tony Spear":bjqv3r9z said:

I've never been to Georgia, but I've always wondered about visiting the grave of the great Blind Willie McTell, one of my musical heroes!

We live about an hour's drive from Milledgeville and forty minutes from Covington. I'd be happy to go to his gravesite and take a photo for you.

revwayne":3nx193rr said:
Tony Spear":3nx193rr said:

We live about an hour's drive from Milledgeville and forty minutes from Covington. I'd be happy to go to his gravesite and take a photo for you.

That's very kind of you Wayne - I'd really love to have a printable photo of it. I'll check out where it actually is and contact you.

Incidentally, have you heard of Michael Gray's book "Hand Me My Travellin' Shoes - In Search of Blind Willie McTell"? It's not only a great biography, but also a brilliant social history of life in the poor black communities of Georgia in the first half of the 20th. Century.

I highly recommend it! :)

EDITED to add: A very happy Christmas to you and yours, and a peaceful and prosperous New Year.

Tony I've not read Gray's book. In the 60s when I was in college in Texas I was a history major. My area of concentration was the development of the American West. In that context I had the privilege of taking four courses in black history and was allowed to interview eighty families three fourths of whom were directly descended from slaves in that part of Texas. It was eye-opening for a young white man trying to wrest-free of the shackles of ignorance. Fortunately for me I made some wonderful friends who taught me the 'unwritten history and the blues.' Now that I live in Georgia I've been able to get to know more families who are descendants - one family received an entire plantation from their ancestors' owners (reparations) - the stories of endurance and perseverance and hope are breathtaking and heartbreaking. What inspires me is that the great great granddaughter of those former slaves is now the CFO of a very large U.S. company - we've been friends for 26 years - she says I'm her older brother...the fabric is richly embroidered with these lives and stories.

I'll get Gray's book - I saw where Amazon has it for $20. Thank you!! Let me know if you find the location - I'll check with a church member who went to college in Milledgeville - he visited a lot of cemeteries down that way.

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas - thank you for your blessings!

Latest posts

Back