Looking to buy a block plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's a fairly old (1975) Stanley 220 which I use more than the others I have. In fact it's one of the few planes I've used so much that it's on its second blade!
Later 220s have a button instead of a wooden knob and are inferior IMHO.
I have a red handled 102 which is primitive but occasionally is just the job.
Best to buy something basic like the 220 and you find you don't really need anything supposedly better or finer.

Last edited:
Mine's a fairly old (1975) Stanley 220 which I use more than the others I have. In fact it's one of the few planes I've used so much that it's on it's second blade!
Later 220s have a button instead of a wooden knob and are inferior IMHO.
I have a red handled 102 which is primitive but occasionally is just the job.
Best to buy something basic like the 220 and you find you don't really need anything supposedly better or finer.
I've extended life of my 9 1/2 iron by lengthening slot, not that I'm a tight Yorkshireman or anything 😆

Attachments

• 20230814_141542.jpg
    20230814_141542.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I have a few second hand block planes of different types and sizes. I was surprised at the diffence between a genuine Record 220 and an almost identical acme plane. The Record blade was held securely and the plane worked well. The acme just wouldn't hold the blade in place.

So the Record was my go to block plane ... until I went to a Wood Workers Workshop open day a few months ago and tried a new Veritas block plane. Night and day difference. I bought one - the most I've spent on a hand tool - but well worth it IMO.

Back