Standard sizes for furniture etc. in UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianD

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any site that gives sizes for furniture. It seems at present there are standards and if you do not like those then buy our products made to our standards and so on.

Point is I wish to build a "King size" bed. I do not want to buy the mattress now because where am I to put it? So the idea is to build bed, when mattress arrives - switch and remove old offending.

Am I just hopeful in that aspiration (standards what standards?) or do I accept defeat and have to measure mattress before making bed (which I acknowledge is most ideal)?

Any advise on this one?

I am sure there are quite a few folks who wonder about this especially if they a new to making furniture.

As always, Brian, you can having anything you want as long as you are prepared to pay for it. Someone out there will certainly sell you a made to order mattress to suit your quirky bed size.

I suspect that isn't the way you want to go, so google matresses, pick one of the sizes and build to that........would be my suggestion.

Mike

Hey Brian

I've just built a bed and faced the same conundrum, but I expected the sizes would be standard and a quick Google search confirmed it.

The next issue I faces was whether to make the mattress recess exactly the same size or whether to make it bigger. I went with 1cm oversize, i.e. 191cmx91cm for my 190x90 standard single, and this turned out to be the right choice as it allows for easier fitting of the bottom sheet.

I only recently completed it. Here's the build thread. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30794

Regards, Jon

Like Jon said - allow some extra space around the mattress especially if it is going to sit within the ends and sides, not just on top of a flat surface. As well as needing room for sheets, mattresses will normally spread out a little bit from their new dimensions after they have been slept on for a while.

I suggest you visit some furniture shops with a tape measure and camera and look at the actual allowances made. You can always say you are just checking if it will fit up your narrow stairs!

Andy

Thanks folks,

Good info all round.

The suggestion of measuring the mattress for narrow stairs is a good ploy I must add :D - unfortunately I am buying a hi-density foam mattress over the internet. Somebody has done this before methinks :lol:

I am now far more confident that I can build the right thing in advance.

Back