Staircase handrail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Where I'm working at the moment, the home owners want their stair case to look nicer. I still have the handrail and balustade yet to fit. I fitted the newels (3 of) and base today. This is the first time I've done any stair work since I left college (which was 10 years ago) so my memory is a bit hazy. I remember all the regs regarding handrail height, baluster spacing, etc but what I can't remember is how to fix the handrail to the 2 newel posts. It's all being stained, so I keep my fixings hidden.
Thanks for any help

Normally a stop pegged mortice and tenon but as the newels are already fixed you may not be able to M&T both ends . Are the newels stained aswell ? In the past i have countersunk a deep hole into the newel and pre drilled the hand rail to take a couple of 100 mm no10 screws , so it was just a case of butt jointing the hand rail with some glue and the screws did the rest .

Anyone seen Tonto ? :lol:

The Burbidge "bracket Fix" system can be cut into a standard newel post, easy to fit and they pull up nice and tight as you wind the nut up.

Jason

Latest posts

Back