Outdoor timber advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HexusOdy

Established Member
Reaction score
The one thing that consistently annoys me about woodworking in this country is the difficulty sourcing timber unless you want basic ply, MDF, or untreated/treated pine.

I'm planning to build a custom deck rail. It will consist of a base rail, a top rail a 10cm space and then an oak handrail to top it off. Between the top rail and base rail will be a panel of welded wire sandwiched between 2 verticals to form a frame (verticals, top rail, base rail). It will look similar to, but not identical, to this.

FPAFPUTIRRY73XF.jpg

While I'd love to make the whole thing from oak I have 8 x 1.5m sections to make and having 4x2 or 3x2 sections of oak milled is pricey. So I've settled on staining everything except the oak handrail and having a wood on paint look.

My question is what timber should I use? Treated C24 is most readily available but staining fresh unweathered treated pine often doesn't go well and I really need to stain it before putting it together.

Would untreated Douglas fir under Owatrol solid colour stain hold up? Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Back