Spyderco CTS BD1N

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intresting topic, expensive knives, I have one that is a folding knife but the “blade” is a Stanley knife one, and it locks open, a nice alloy body and a button allows the blade to be switched over,,I think it came from the pound shop around 5 or 6 years ago! But its very good and is always in my toolbag. All the talk of legality got me thinking too so I had a look at the UKGov website, less than 3inch blade (the gov hasn't gone metric yet!) and not a lockable blade unless you have a good reason,,,,however the good reasons include work and carrying it too and from work so my one is okay. Heavy prison sentances are available to be dished out but from what you hear our criminal friends are rarely bothered by the law but best to be mindful if your confronted by the plod!

Intresting topic, expensive knives, I have one that is a folding knife but the “blade” is a Stanley knife one, and it locks open, a nice alloy body and a button allows the blade to be switched over,,I think it came from the pound shop around 5 or 6 years ago! But its very good and is always in my toolbag. All the talk of legality got me thinking too so I had a look at the UKGov website, less than 3inch blade (the gov hasn't gone metric yet!) and not a lockable blade unless you have a good reason,,,,however the good reasons include work and carrying it too and from work so my one is okay. Heavy prison sentances are available to be dished out but from what you hear our criminal friends are rarely bothered by the law but best to be mindful if your confronted by the plod!

My daily carry knife is based on a Stanley knife. Stanley type blades are sharp and versatile, I never have to worry about sharpening it I just switch the blade and there is always a spare sharp edge if I rotate the blade. If I go somewhere that doesn't allow knives I can ditch the blade but keep the handle and they are so ubiquitous I can always buy another pack of blades where ever I am anywhere in the world.

Intresting topic, expensive knives,
I think it was 1999 I bought my previous knife.
It was roughly the same size but heavier and a lot cheaper, I think maybe £9.99. It had a pocket clip and the blade locked.
It was in my pocket daily up to November 2018 and had given no trouble at all, well until I decided to use it as a lever and you can guess the rest.

SWMBO said o goody I'll get you a good knife for Christmas. Hence the Spyderco at £58+

I'll spend if necessary to fix it, but should I ever be in need of a knife a cheapy will be sufficient.

They changed the design of the ukpk from a solid back spring to a split “tuning fork” design. These are proving to have a much shorter service life and snap with some frequency. Sal is generally really good at getting them sorted so worth an email to see what he can do- he’ll likely put you in touch with customer services directly but coming from him helps.

I had the original pattern for many years unfortunately the back spring became worn and the knife would open in my pocket. I tried the lifetime warranty but the USA refer me to the UK and they said it did not apply here. I would be very happy to buy a replacement part but could not find one .

I like the design but could not find one in stock at a reasonable price and ended up buying a Byrd 8Cr13Mov for around 40 pounds the steel in the blade is not of the same quality but it does the job. I had hoped I could transfer the blade but there are design changes that prevent this despite looking very similar and being UK legal. Byrd is owned by Spyderco

Will it outlast my whitby co uk legal mint? Probably not. Is it 5 times as sharp,or for that matter 5 times better? Nope.
Is it a nice knife? Yep. Is it my money you are spending? Nope.
Then i dont care,crack on. 😂 hope you get it sorted artie.

Received word back this morning, I can have a replacement or a refund.
I don't really want the same again if it will only last a couple of years.
Suggestions please for a light robust legal EDC knife.

For the same but different, the Spyderco lightweight Urban is my preference over the UKPK; one piece back-spring if that helps.

Personally though, a Victorinox Hunter or Victorinox Pioneer X are the things that live in my pockets every day; scissors, saw, awl, scraper (can opener) and screwdrivers are very useful that could be done with a plain blade, but also may dull or break it.

I generally regard a ‘pocket knife’ as a tool for work I have not planned to do that is not worth the time to fetch a propper tool for. Then if I have a need for a real-sized tool (e.g. cutting up cardboard boxes, carpet, gardening, etc), then I use the right tool for the job.

They say.
"In 2018 the UK pocket knife was one of the first runs in production.
Since that time Spyderco learnt from the knife and improved it by using different parts or stronger materials."

So I've decided to take a replacement.

I have a ukpk from the first 100 ever built. It's been my daily carry ever since. Opened and closed many thousands of times and no problems with it ever....
I was wondering what else to suggest to you and gave up. For me, that original batch with G10 scales was the best we were going to get in a slip joint penknife.

Thank you, I've been in touch with the retailer, I'll see what he says. For the price they should have a lifetime warranty. :)

There must be something broken inside so no point me messing around .
I emailed them, they took it and repaired it without question.

Back