Spokeshave Selection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I would like to have a go at the key cupboard project featured in this months F&C. (Detail do not matter for those who do not have it, essential detail for this question is a sweeping concave edge to the door).

The magazine recommends, and I would also like to try, using a spokeshave to finish this edge once roughing via the bandsaw.

To my question - recommendations in terms of make and also size. I must admit I am drawn to a Jame Mursell kit but I would like to see what thoughts others have.

Thanks
Simon

Hi,

Try an old low angle boxwood shave, they work very well, or get a Hock blade and make your own http://www.hocktools.com/SP.htm
Preston spokeshaes are better than the Stanley/Record but are expensive.

Pete

SVB":38x1nzwh said:
Folks,

I would like to have a go at the key cupboard project featured in this months F&C.
Thanks
Simon

It's a nice little project apart from that odd shaped door. If I were to use spokes on it, then the Veritas ones are the shaves of choice for me - Rob

woodbloke":3ajza5dn said:
If I were to use spokes on it, then the Veritas ones are the shaves of choice for me - Rob

Rob,

Do you mean the larger ones or the smaller unit with the variable mouth / sole to allow concave and convex use depending on which way up it is fitted to the tool?

Racers":1xvfw62d said:
Hi,

Try an old low angle boxwood shave, they work very well, or get a Hock blade and make your own http://www.hocktools.com/SP.htm
Preston spokeshaes are better than the Stanley/Record but are expensive.

Pete

Simon:
I've made several spokeshaves using this pattern:
http://www.hocktools.com/teachshave/TEACHSHAVE.HTM

They don't take long, and once you've got them tuned up they work quite well. I skipped the part where he uses a wear-resistant wood for the sole. I think if you use a dense piece of wood your wear will be minimal. I used the 2-1/2" wide Hock blades.

Kirk

Hi,

I made my Hock one from Maple with a brass sole. works very well.
It's the one I reach for first from this selection.
DSC_0130.jpg

I have sold 4 since i took this (and added some more)

Pete

SVB":15g937sj said:
woodbloke":15g937sj said:
If I were to use spokes on it, then the Veritas ones are the shaves of choice for me - Rob

Rob,

Do you mean the larger ones or the smaller unit with the variable mouth / sole to allow concave and convex use depending on which way up it is fitted to the tool?
The larger standard sized one's. Veritas do a pair with a flat and convex sole where the mouth is fixed but can be adjusted with the supplied shims. The doc on these shaves is adjustable though, in the same way as the Record/Stanley offerings of ill repute - Rob

I have the three Woodjoy shaves from Classic Handtools. The flat one and the gently curved one are really excellent but I wouldn't bother with tightly curved brass bodied version. If you don't want to have to go to the trouble of making you own these are a very good choice. The price is comparable with Veritas and LN, so not cheap

Jim

I love the older Preston ones and while they are more expensive than Record or Stanley...on Fleabay they are quite common and relatively cheap. Go for the old ones with the beautiful art nouveau swirls:

DSC_0137.JPG

Other than that...retrofit any of them as I did with an old Record...with a Veritas iron/blade and file down the "frog" rather than the mouth to make it fit. You will find these are rather poorly ground anyway so that improves contact area:

DSC_0330.JPG

That is the one I reach for every time and it cost me a few quid...£5 for the iron as a special from Axminster and a quid or two for the No.52

Jim

I have the Veritas pair, flat and convex soled. Both brilliant and leave a surface like glass - even on thicker cuts

Hi, Eddie

I think it had no name on it, I can;t find it now I think I might have given it away Steve M was collecting tools for Africa.

Pete

I've got a Rutlands ("Dakota"/QS) one. It's Boggs pattern, rougly speaking, but the throat isn't adjustable unless you make and apply your own shims. the picture shows a brass body, but mine is cast steel (none the worse for all that). It's comfy: good for me with arthritic fingers (ordinary 'Stanley' ones I can't really control well).

Mine hasn't had much use, but it's got a really nice and thick blade, which holds a good edge, and it works well. So much so, that I'm contemplating a second one and grinding the sole a bit convex.

I did buy it at significant discount though. I note it's gone back up to £40-ish, at which price it's not so much of a bargain. Despite that, if they do bring out a convex-sole one, I may well go for it.

HTH,

E.

Eddie":2xh7dybr said:
Hi Pete, Can you tell me what make the Small metal shave above the three wooden ones is,
Many thanks
Eddie

:)

Looks like a #63 (Convex sole) or #64 (Flat) to me. Basic little shave, but surprisingly good and handy.

I keep thinking I should be making some useful contribution to this, but truth is I'd find it hard to recommend just one. Off the top of my head I like the Veritas kits, the Mujingfang and the old wooden ones - and the adjustable mouth variety and Prestons amongst the metal. Not tried an LN, the Veritas ones are okay but the adjusters make them feel a little unwieldy to me. The biggest problem with shaves is not getting one that'll do the job, it's learning the skill to use it effectively - particularly the convexed soled variety.

Patrick Leach of Stanley Blood & Gore fame did a brain dump on spokeshaves that makes an interesting read.

Interesting article; thanks for posting. I was intrigued by his description of a spokeshave with a flexible steel sole, like a miniature compass plane, and went off looking for pictures. The only ones I found were on one of those annoying sites that use a script to load the pictures, so I can't post a direct link to the images, but they are here:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/scarce-stearns-13-flex-sole-spoke-shave-patented#

Alf":hnr6nf67 said:
Eddie":hnr6nf67 said:
Hi Pete, Can you tell me what make the Small metal shave above the three wooden ones is,
Many thanks
Eddie

:)

Looks like a #63 (Convex sole) or #64 (Flat) to me. Basic little shave, but surprisingly good and handy.

Back when I was building up a "full set" of hammers and horticultural tools, and putting a lot of handles on heads, the #63 was my spokeshave of choice for the fitting process.

BugBear

Hi,

The little Preston (bottom left) has convex sole and its very nice to use.

Pete

Eric The Viking":haowg2xl said:
I've got a Rutlands ("Dakota"/QS) one. It's Boggs pattern, rougly speaking, but the throat isn't adjustable unless you make and apply your own shims. the picture shows a brass body, but mine is cast steel (none the worse for all that). It's comfy: good for me with arthritic fingers (ordinary 'Stanley' ones I can't really control well).

E.

Has anyone tried these Q s/shaves and compared them with the LN versions?

I am aware other Q products compare well, are these also 'up there'?

Thanks.
S

Latest posts

Back