Splits in Pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can be repaired with hard wax but it really isn't worth the bother it is just as easy to strip the kit down and remake them the splits can be caused by several things, sanding with the lathe running to fast so the wood overheats and splits which can happen well after the pen was made or glue residue inside the tube making the fit of the pen components being to tight good luck with your next batch

Thanks Woody
I know I am not setting the twist machanism straight befor pressing it into the pen causing the wood to crack. I seem to have problems with this which I am going to master.
Glen

If you can get hold of a thin metal rod that will go through the mechanism then you can knock the nib end out then grind the point of a 4" nail then you can knock the mechanism out

I have a disassembler which I use. I am more concerned in filling in the crack/split that accures sometimes when I fit the twist mechanism.
Glen

OK there are two ways one supper glue and sanding dust strip the pen down put it back on the lathe put some med supper glue on the grit spin and sand the slurry will fill the split then finish
Two get some hard filler wax sticks melt it into the crack rub with a round rod let it harden and remove the excess with a sharp scalpel or a very fine grit

If you are not inserting the pen mechanism dead straight you will distort the brass tube and split the wood (as you've no doubt discovered).

Use the lathe as a press using something mounted at the headstock end with a V in it to take the pointy end of the pen and something flat at the tailstock end. Then, with the pointy end of the pen towrds the headstock and supporting the pen mechanism by hand in the centre of the tailstock end wind in the tailstock. I do something similar using an engineering lathe but the principle is the same.

Back