Spiral saw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Weegie

Established Member
Reaction score
When over in Florida I Purchased a couple of packets of these.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_ ... saw+blades

Being a newbie. I must say that they are fantastic for cutting intricate shapes in the middle of the wood. Hope that makes sense :oops:

Okay they might not be the best of make but what a difference they make.

Just wish I had bought more :x :x :x

:lol:

Does anybody else use these type of blades.

Nope - I find it very difficult to cut straight lines with them as any sideways pressure results in a cut in the wrong direction. Better to practice turning the wood in my opinion, but if they work for you then ignore me!

Steve

The shapes that I was cutting weren't straight. I think I am right in saying that no scroll saw blade can cut in a straight line. But then again I am a novice.

They were used for cutting shapes in wood where there was no straight lines.

I think I am right in saying that no scroll saw blade can cut in a straight line

Erm, I hope not! Actually, very few scrollsaw blades cut a straight line in line with the front of the blade due to the way in which they are stamped from sheet stock. If you feed at an angle to offset this drift however, straight lines are achievable. After a while it becomes second nature - a bit like riding a bike and making continual adjustments without knowing it but still managing to cycle in a straight line up the road.

Steve

There are better tools than the scroll saw for cutting straight lines, but with a little practice there is no reason why a straight line cannot be cut with a scroll saw. After all, it's just the same as following any pattern line.

I've never used spiral blades because I've never had the need to use them. I hear they can give a rough finish, especially on the underside of plywood, and you have to be particularly careful not to inadvertently apply sideways pressure. I can't think of a situation where a spiral blade could cut anything a normal blade could not, so I think I'll stick with my traditional (but effective) flat blades. However, if spirals are your horse for your course, I wish you every success :) . Life would be boring if we were all the same.

Im glad that after practice you can cut straight lines.

Maybe it is a beginner thing but I found it extremely difficult to cut tight curves with standard scroll blades.

I was able to cut out a curve about a quarter of an inch wide with the spiral blade. Where as with the standard blades it was wandering off.

As I have said maybe with practice I will be able to cut these shapes.

Still absolutely fantastic machine even for a beginner :D

The Weegie":1juh7ehb said:
Im glad that after practice you can cut straight lines.

Maybe it is a beginner thing but I found it extremely difficult to cut tight curves with standard scroll blades.

I was able to cut out a curve about a quarter of an inch wide with the spiral blade. Where as with the standard blades it was wandering off.

As I have said maybe with practice I will be able to cut these shapes.

Still absolutely fantastic machine even for a beginner :D

You're certainly not the only scroller who loves to use spiral blades in preference to flat ones! You're probably in a minority, but if it works for you and you get good results, that's all that really matters.

For my jigsaw puzzles a spiral blade produces too wide a kerf because the blade itself, having teeth all the way round, is necessarily thicker than the equivalent flat blade. If you have trouble making very tight turns with regular blades it may be that the regular blade is too coarse for the turn. I can certainly cut a quarter-inch curve in 6mm ply with a 00 blade.

I think the ideal is to be proficient with all types of blade and understand where they are strongest.

Back