Spindle Moulder Questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy67

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a little advice. I am about to take delivery of my first ever spindle moulder which will be used purely in a hobby/home workshop capacity and have decided in the interest of safety to also buy some form of power feeder. I'd prefer not to spend more than necessary on it and wondered whether anyone had any experience of the bottom of the range feeders from Axminster (or comparable) and how they perform. It will only get light use and will be very much a starting point. Also if anyone can recommend any inexpensive alternatives that would also be appreciated.

Secondly on the subject of basic tooling any recommendations on where to start with in terms of a basic cutter block and some advice for what to look for/ start out with.
Many thanks

Power feeder is a good idea. You might like to do a search on this forum for posts on power feeders http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk and also on here if you've not already done so.

Critical things are (a) how are you going to mount it and (b) does it have the reach for your machine.

But...a big but...please buy one of the standard books first on spindle moulders and even better get someone to show you how to use one. Out of all the power tools in the workshop, I think that the spindle moulder is the one least likely to take any prisoners.

This thread is well worth reading

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ird#432848

My position is similar, in that as a first timer i'm just about to get started using a 4 hp Hammer F3. I'll need to buy a feeder at some stage soon.

One angle i'm picking up on power feeders is that the mouse powered variety can run into problems. The guys on the Felder owner group would for example argue that there's no point buying one much below 1hp.

There's also signs that a few regret buying three rather than four wheel feeders, but i'm not sure why.

Trouble is you quickly get into significant money at that level.

Does anybody have any views on these points? Just where in terms of machines and types of work do you run into the limits of the lower spec feeders?

ian

Hi, first off let me say "I neither have nor have ever used a Spindle Moulder". However I very clearly remember when I was first shown one in use that the operator placed an 8"x4", about 3' long, lump of timber on edge along the front edge of the table between the cutter and his belly. 'Just in case' he said 'Til I'm sure the cutter ain't loose'. That has stuck with me a long, long time.

xy

I may be a "newbie" to this forum but I have been around woodworking machinery for almost forty years. Whilst spindle moulder tooling is infinitely safer than it was then, the lethal potential of operator error remains the same. I would strongly recommend that you read Eric Stephenson's "Spindle Moulder Handbook" before you switch on the machine. The safety advice is excellent, particularly regarding the use of Shaw Guards but it is also full of practical advice.
Your local Further Education centre should be able to connect you with woodworking machinery courses and believe me you will be much more confident when you have been on one. Sorry to be an old F**t, but I've seen the after effects of kick-back.

Rogerdodge":25ms1rbd said:
I may be a "newbie" to this forum but I have been around woodworking machinery for almost forty years. Whilst spindle moulder tooling is infinitely safer than it was then, the lethal potential of operator error remains the same. I would strongly recommend that you read Eric Stephenson's "Spindle Moulder Handbook" before you switch on the machine. The safety advice is excellent, particularly regarding the use of Shaw Guards but it is also full of practical advice.
Your local Further Education centre should be able to connect you with woodworking machinery courses and believe me you will be much more confident when you have been on one. Sorry to be an old F**t, but I've seen the after effects of kick-back.

Father Christmas delivered this book for me and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Bob

noddy67":1h37l0lr said:
Thanks for the replies so far guys. Anyone else have any thoughts on where to start with a cutter block or power feeder?

A long distance away using a stick by the sounds of it.

My advice about cutter blocks and power feeders would be to read the book recommended and then go on a course.

I know that sounds very rude and negative but spindle moulders should only be used by experienced people.

I have ordered the book and would be very interested in any spindle moulder courses in the Kent/ East Sussex area but would also welcome any specific thoughts on power feeders and cutter blocks.

noddy67":3om8c31r said:
I have ordered the book and would be very interested in any spindle moulder courses in the Kent/ East Sussex area but would also welcome any specific thoughts on power feeders and cutter blocks.

Noddy
I also live in e sussex and have a spindle and am interested if you find any courses in East Sussex

noddy67":2pq7cgtf said:

I would advise getting a standard euro block and buy the knives when you need them rather than getting a set with a set of knives that you may or may not use. You can get one that takes both 40 and 50mm wide cutters that will give you a bit more versatility.

A 125mm rebate block either 50 or 60mm high will also be very handy for rebates and if you combine one with a 125mm bearing and guide ring it performs the same operations as a bearing guided router cutter allowing you to do copying and curved work although you can also do this with a euro block and straight knives.

A groover will also be very usefull. The best type is an adjustable groover which allows the depth or groove to be set with either with shims or some have a dial which you can set the width of groove with. These are pretty expensive but very usefull. A cheaper alternative is a fixed width groover if you get say a 6mm one you can do most things by taking multiple passes.

It would be good to know what type of work you want to do with the spindle as this will dictate what type of tooling would be best.

Most of the tooling I have got is from whitehill and it may be worth checking out there site to see what they offer. http://www.whitehill-tools.com/

I have a sedgwick and a wadkin spindle. The sedgwick has a powerfeed which is essential for some operations whilst the wadkin is used with the shaw guards and purpose made jigs and it is perfectly safe to use without a powerfeed. I have no experience of the smaller feeds but I imagine they would be ok for light to medium duty work.

If you are struggling to get any training or it is really costly I will gladly show you the basics if you fancy a trip to lincolnshire one weekend.

Cheers

Jon

If you are looking for training in basic use on your machine then let me know. I work for a company that carries out woodworking machinery training. You may find it expensive in one hit but if you can share it, or are willing to wait until someone is in your area then it should reduce it a bit.

Orangetlh

You maybe should tell us more about your services, I could see an opportunity for you to organise a UKWorkshop training course or two

Well i work for a company based in Bristol that carries out apprenticeships in furniture and wood machining. We also offer either basic, refresher or City & Guild courses on woodworking machinery. They are tailored to suit but a normal basic session will consist of, rules and regs, setting of guards, setting of machines and safe use.
Basic training is just that, its the basic function of the machine and simple set ups. The City & Guilds awarded training is more in depth on both practical and theory and has a theory test at the end. The City and Guilds is more of an assessment of competency on a machine. The benefit of the training we do is that it is at your workshop on machines that you use, making it much more relevant. If you are interested i can send you some digital leaflets.

I have also been seeking a practical course on spindle moudler setup, use and safety. I have read the books and done some work with my machine, but I feel that this tool could do so much more for me.

So if you could have a think about what sort of course you could offer I am confident that you may get a good deal of interest from people on this forum alone.

Cheers
Graeme

I too would be pretty interested in some kind of training on the spindle moulder, particularly if it was over here in my shop.
I guess I'd be looking for something lasting a few hours that would get me up the curve in terms of safety, setup etc while also giving me an idea of what one can really do with the machine. I've been using routers/ router table for a while now but obviously this is a big step up for me and I just get the sense that while all machines have the capacity to be dangerous, the spindle moulder requires a little more care and knowledge than most.
I'm in Kent not far from Tonbridge and would be happy to throw together some lunch if there were three or four of us in the area who'd be interested and like to share the cost of the lesson.

Is that the kind of thing you're able to offer and if so what kind of cost are we talking about?

noddy67":1li2cb08 said:
I too would be pretty interested in some kind of training on the spindle moulder, particularly if it was over here in my shop.
I guess I'd be looking for something lasting a few hours that would get me up the curve in terms of safety, setup etc while also giving me an idea of what one can really do with the machine. I've been using routers/ router table for a while now but obviously this is a big step up for me and I just get the sense that while all machines have the capacity to be dangerous, the spindle moulder requires a little more care and knowledge than most.
I'm in Kent not far from Tonbridge and would be happy to throw together some lunch if there were three or four of us in the area who'd be interested and like to share the cost of the lesson.

Is that the kind of thing you're able to offer and if so what kind of cost are we talking about?

I might be up for some of that.

Back