spending spree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
Attacked fleabay today and managed to get
set of 6 Ashley Isles chisels (blvd to be brailford set) £49.95
Robert Sorby captive ring tool £21.00
Robert Sorby RS23 KT Hollowmaster £25.50

Hopefully now I have some decent tools to use as the cheap ones I have need sharpening every 30 seconds.

Good going! Nice prices on all three.

I'd love to try a set of AI chisels, see if they really are worth all the hype - I have a set of relatively "cheap" MHG german ones that I got on a deal from rutlands, I'm fairly happy with those but hanker after a couple of really good ones to keep aside for the finest work.

As for the Robert Sorby stuff, if it uses the wee individual shaped cutters, you may be interested to know there's a wee cutter holder you can buy for their stuff, that lets you mount the cutter securely on a smaller chunk of metal specifically for sharpening and honing up the edges - saves you from having to buy new ones quite so often, as you can even touch up the Tungsten ones using a fine diamond stone using that.

Bought one for my wife's new RS stuff, and it works a treat. £6 odds. If you had metal cutting and thread tapping gear, you could probably knock one up even cheaper.

Nic

Thanks for the tip. I actually have a jet wet stone system and the tormek gouge grinding jig which comes a special attachment for tungsten inserts.
I will let you know how the Ashley Isles chisels work out.

nicguthrie":1d3flh24 said:
Good going! Nice prices on all three.

I'd love to try a set of AI chisels, see if they really are worth all the hype - I have a set of relatively "cheap" MHG german ones that I got on a deal from rutlands, I'm fairly happy with those but hanker after a couple of really good ones to keep aside for the finest work.

As for the Robert Sorby stuff, if it uses the wee individual shaped cutters, you may be interested to know there's a wee cutter holder you can buy for their stuff, that lets you mount the cutter securely on a smaller chunk of metal specifically for sharpening and honing up the edges - saves you from having to buy new ones quite so often, as you can even touch up the Tungsten ones using a fine diamond stone using that.

Bought one for my wife's new RS stuff, and it works a treat. £6 odds. If you had metal cutting and thread tapping gear, you could probably knock one up even cheaper.

Nic

I'm fairly happy with those but hanker after a couple of really good ones to keep aside for the finest work.

Nic ,I have not yet heard of a Turner who has tools for special occasions , how would you define what is a special piece when you should use your special tools . Surly every piece you have on the lathe is special . If you were to save your tools for a special piece you would be defeating the whole object of turning , which I believe is that every piece will be better than last .

I hope you find some tools that give you that special feeling . when you do I bet you won't use any others
This is not a criticism of you ,I spent many months and lots of money hoping to find the magic tools ,when I should have had somebody teach me how to use the ones I had .It will cost less to have a lesson than to keep buying tools .

Enjoy your turning ,God Bless.

Haha! Ok, my fault for being too verbose but not accurate enough! By "finest" in this case, I didn't mean "special" but "most delicate". Also, I wasn't aware Ashley Isles made turning chisels, I was referring to their carpentry ones, assuming that Procell had bought a mixture of tools.

The MHG ones I own are decent bevel edged chisels, and being very light they are easy to work with, but they don't hold an edge very well, especially in comparison to the extremely hard Japanese white paper / blue paper steels, and I've always fancied getting one or two very nice chisels that take and keep a superb edge, for when I'm making something I want the joints absolutely spot-on for, like a Japanese lantern. If I'm making something I'm really taking pride in, rather than say, knocking out a planter or two, I like my joints to hold without glue, before gluing up, as I assume that will lead to longer lasting joins (Probably an inaccurate beginners assumption, but there you go).

I can see why this would lead to confusion if it was lathe tools. Makes me imagine someone pulling out the magical glowing set of +2 tools of keen edge (ok I was an old D&D player) to get a special finish on a comission!

I would say that although nice tight joints is something to strive for a little bit on clearance is probably better if the item is to be in an area where humidity varies a lot.
The Ashley Isles set is ASHLEY ISLES
SET OF 6 WOOD TURNING CHISELS
I believe this is the Brailford Set but am not 100% sure
6 chisels in the set consisting of :
1. All Rounder 10mm (3/8") (looks like a Bowl Gouge in the picture)
2. Roughing Out Gouge 13mm (1/2")
3. Skew Chisel 30mm (1.1/4")
4. Spindle Gouge 6mm (1/4")
5. Parting Tool 3mm (3/8")
6. Round Nose Scraper 19mm (3/4")
All chisels are in good condition

Nic , all is clear to me now .I don't turn any more for health reasons , so I can assure you that if there was anything out there that would allow me to get back to turning I would have it .

Which ever is your preference in woodworking I wish you many happy years of enjoying it , and envy you as well .

God Bless

I'm even more jealous now then Procell!

I've seen many Crown and Robert Sorby basic tools up for sale at around what you paid for the whole AIsles set.

I don't really want for any more turning tools currently, but I'm sure that will change soon enough, I'll definitely keep my eye on Ebay more often in future - you just turned me into a potential auction competitor :)

Nic

Have now received all the tools. Some serious shaping and sharpening to do on the Ashley Isles but very happy with my purchases. Looks like they will give me many years of service.

FYI

According to the Ashley Iles catalogue, page 47,
- http://ashleyiles.co.uk/Catalogue.pdf

The skew & round nosed scraper are carbon steel with the other 4 tools being High Speed Steel(HSS).
Although this page says the parting tool is carbon steel as well - probably depends on what was available at the time of sale
- http://ashleyiles.co.uk/the_brailsford_set.html

As an aside it says as "Recommended by Reg Slack" who IIRC, was the resident turner for Coronet.

Latest posts

Back