Ashley Isles?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharpening is an essential skill that opens the door to pre World War 2 gouges. Less than a tenner, usually, often with handles stamped by several prior owners, I get a kick out of picking up every one of my 100+ year old carving tools. Of my modern gouges, I rate Sorby the highest, then Pfeil, Ashley Iles are very good and I wouldn't turn one down. I don't like the 2 cherries at all and flexcut are ok with many devotees but I think Bristol Design might be the best of the moderns

It seems to me (a tight fisted rank amateur) that most problems are down to the user not the tool - providing you start with something of reasonable quality.

It's too easy to want to believe that a better tool will improve your output - craftsmen of old did not own a wide selection of high end tools to produce what they did - just a basic set of tools used with skill.

I am an average wood butcher/bodger who enjoys making things that people can enjoy - I first bought a set of Lidl specials (good value) and them some Narex (on the back of good reviews). I have outgrown neither!

Cheshirechappie":1woq2gcp said:
woodbloke66":1woq2gcp said:
My only experience with AI was with their so called 'dovetail' chisels with a curved back. When vertical pressure was applied, the smaller ones bent....alarmingly! :shock: :shock: I sent them back to Workshop Heaven and got a full refund.
Sorry, but I couldn't recommend any chisel brand where they visibly bent in use - Rob

Rob, would you rather that small chisels flexed .... or snapped?

(P.S. - Not a bad thing to have a little spring in a long paring chisel. Can give you that little extra control of cut sometimes.)
These were standard length dovetail chisels with a 'C' shaped or domed back. The bigger chisels were OK but the 6mm just bent on use which meant is was very difficult to use, not to say dangerous if it did snap. Personally, I thought they were as much use as a chocolate teapot so I sent them back. On the other hand, my standard Axminster Japanese dovetail chisels (alas no longer available) don't bend and go a lot sharper - Rob

woodbloke66":1m970jky said:
Cheshirechappie":1m970jky said:
woodbloke66":1m970jky said:
My only experience with AI was with their so called 'dovetail' chisels with a curved back. When vertical pressure was applied, the smaller ones bent....alarmingly! :shock: :shock: I sent them back to Workshop Heaven and got a full refund.
Sorry, but I couldn't recommend any chisel brand where they visibly bent in use - Rob

Rob, would you rather that small chisels flexed .... or snapped?

(P.S. - Not a bad thing to have a little spring in a long paring chisel. Can give you that little extra control of cut sometimes.)
These were standard length dovetail chisels with a 'C' shaped or domed back. The bigger chisels were OK but the 6mm just bent on use which meant is was very difficult to use, not to say dangerous if it did snap. Personally, I thought they were as much use as a chocolate teapot so I sent them back. On the other hand, my standard Axminster Japanese dovetail chisels (alas no longer available) don't bend and go a lot sharper - Rob

Interesting!

I don't doubt what you say, Rob - you've used enough chisels for long enough to know a bit about them - but it sounds a bit odd. Some years ago, I bought the AI 1/16" dovetail chisel, not for dovetailing specifically, but because I needed a very small chisel and that was about the smallest I could find. To be sure, it's a delicate little thing, but I wouldn't describe it as unduly flexible.

I have the 1/16 and the 6 mm also. The 6 mm tends also to bend, but not the 1/16.
It looks like the 1/16 is a bit thicker, giving it more resistance.
The 6 mm is the only one that bends easily,.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Noho12C":3f935xww said:
I have the 1/16 and the 6 mm also. The 6 mm tends also to bend, but not the 1/16.
It looks like the 1/16 is a bit thicker, giving it more resistance.
The 6 mm is the only one that bends easily,.

Thanks for that.

The AI Mk2 b/e chisel has a bit of flexibility to it, too, but nothing excessive. It is, after all, not a firmer chisel, or even a bevel-edged firmer in the modern sense, but a proper cabinetmaker's chisel, rather like a short paring chisel. Light, and delicate, and intended for finer work.

I tend to agree with those saying get to grips with sharpening and general tool care otherwise those shiney new Ashley Isles will soon be just like the neglected Sorby chisels. Sharpening just has to be the first woodworking skill you learn as without that the woodworking thing is never going to work.
Regards
John

I saw Workshop Heaven has released a new own range of chisels.

workshop-heaven-rosewood-chisel-set-of-3.jpg

"Victorian Chisels", Narex Steel with Rosewood London pattern handles. They do look stunning but I probably wouldn't buy them mainly down to the rosewood "Blood Diamond" handles and would probably opt for one of Narex's other offerings like their new Richter chisels. Of course, I've got the blue handled Stanleys so I need not want for any other chisels for the rest of my life :lol:

Just saw them also. They look really nice !

What do you mean by rosewood blood diamond handle ? You mean the timber is not processed ethically ?

Noho12C":18nqmlod said:
What do you mean by rosewood blood diamond handle ? You mean the timber is not processed ethically ?

Yes, to the point where most if not all Rosewoods have been made illegal to import into Britain by CITES.

I re - handled (and tidied up the grinding of) a set of Lidl's with padauk London pattern handles for S/S a few years ago. The chap obviously didn't like them much - he didn't post pics. and to my knowledge never posted again. Shame - I'd have happily kept them.

phil.p":qsgy26x4 said:
I re - handled (and tidied up the grinding of) a set of Lidl's with padauk London pattern handles for S/S a few years ago. The chap obviously didn't like them much - he didn't post pics. and to my knowledge never posted again. Shame - I'd have happily kept them.

Wait, wait, wait... You did some remedial work on some chisels, Phil?

If I remember you have an infamous reputation for not doing such things, BACK BEVEL!?! :lol:

Those London Pattern handles look great and if you have access to a lathe are quite easy to turn; I've done several handles in English Walnut which looks even better than Rosewood - Rob

I must admit until I'd actually made some I didn't realise how comfortable they are to use. I've only two - one is very tiny and the other is on a large Isaac Greaves gouge which I made over sized in yew, which is brilliant ....... for me. :D

If you make your thumb and index finger into an "OK" sign with a space between the tips it creates an octogon shape with all the joints, which is why the London pattern naturally feels nice in the hand.

Even something like an octagonal axe or hammer handle feels unusually good in the hand.

Trevanion":b21me3fe said:
If you make your thumb and index finger into an "OK" sign with a space between the tips it creates an octogon shape with all the joints, which is why the London pattern naturally feels nice in the hand.

Even something like an octagonal axe or hammer handle feels unusually good in the hand.

Yeah, but turn that octagon a few degrees around such that it doesn't align with that "OK" octagon shape of your hand, and it will turn into a pain. Literally. I'd want to be very sure that the handle was orientated correctly before buying anything with such a handle.

London pattern handles don't do it for me, either. Those I've tried had no chamfer at the top of the octagon section, just below the domed end. When paring, with the domed end resting in your palm, those sharp corners dig in. Even when chamfered off a bit, they still dig in.

Sooner use the carver pattern handles, or the pattern like the London, but with the octagonal section turned to round.

Each to their own, though. Variety is good - something for everyone!

Back