Spelling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theartfulbodger":116ds5hu said:
Once a word from another language enters the English language as an adopted English word then it seems that
(single object)s = plural

(post mortem)s

(gin and tonic)s

(cul de sac)s

..irrespective of the rules in the original language.

There's always exceptions which is what makes the English language more fun, and I assume maddeningly difficult for foreigners to learn. Trades Union springs to mind...and I think the plural of Court Martial is Courts Martial, but in English probably should be Martial Court?

Just my take on it.

It appears my joke(*) was too subtle, so I'll express myself clearly, but non humourously.

In the interesting (but infrequent) case where a composite noun has the noun before the adjective, the plural is formed on the noun, but there are exceptions to even this rule.

This page has some interesting examples:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/compounds.htm

BugBear

(*)The plural of "battle royal" is (of course) "battles royal".

Yep! Artful, as I said, it's a corruption of the original Latin, things cahnge. As I said, I was taught Zeebra for what is usually Zebra.
But it doesn't alter the fact that British people are losing out to 'them vrom foreign parts' 'cos they are less well educated, according to the CBI, one poster on here, CEO of Sainsbury, some Universities and the Army etc.

Roy.

Sweet Jeezus

Quote, from another winge-fest "It's my religiuos upbringing, I can resist anything bar temptation!"

Roy.

Get some woodwork dun !

bugbear":2ep42t0b said:
Just my take on it.

It appears my joke(*) was too subtle, ......[/quote]What joke? I must have missed it. :roll:

Yep! and I've heard that Exits are on the way out as well.
It's a joke Jacob!

Roy.

Here you are then, fellahs - A little poem from my mum;

Pronunciation for Foreigners

I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, lough and through.
Well done! And now you wish perhaps
To learn of less familiar traps?

Beware of heard, a dreadful word,
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead: it’s said like bed, not bead –
For goodness sake don’t call it “deed”!
Watch out for meat and great and threat,
(they rhyme with suite and straight and debt).

A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother.
And here is not a match for there,
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
And then there’s dose and rose and lose –
Just loo them up – and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward.
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart –
Come, come, I’ve hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Man alive,
I’d mastered it when I was five!

ANON

Had a good one yesterday.

Had a contact from a web review company offering the usual 'guarantees' if we advertise with them, that we usually take with a huge pinch of salt. Anyway, part of her email read:

Free sponsored link witch pushes traffic strait to your web site, its a permanent banner on top of your category

Needless to say we won't be letting that company do any advertising for us.

regards

Brian

Fast transit by broomstick I trust.
There was one in my local Tesco today, a large banner proclaimed MENS WEAR.

Roy.

Digit":kwcsef3u said:
So if I state that all the waiters in my local cafe are Polish that's racism as opposed to an accurate observation?
Roy.

Roy, Jeff Randall has twice in the last month stated that all the workers in his local Pret-a-Manger are non UK citizens, in fact his programme last week was interviewing some talking head about the fact that Pret-a-Manger have stated 83% of all their staff are non UK citizens.

So if he can say it on Sky TV and no one has objected then I think you are pretty safe.........................but then you knew that any way didn't you :wink: ........ Some people just like to use the 'racism' word because it sounds good and they don't know what it really means :lol:

brianhabby":15wd37ny said:
Free sponsored link witch pushes traffic strait to your web site, its a permanent banner on top of your category

Brian, words fail me, that is truly awful, yet no one seems to care. Still I'm pleased you won't be using them.

As swear words lose their bite from over useage others seem to move in to take their place Losos, racism seems to have moved to the top of the pole!

Roy.

This must be my favourite thread on any forum ......ever.

It says (almost) everything that I think about the deterioration in the use of English but misses out my pet hate... the disappearance of the word "are".

I hear it every single day on the radio and on television and it's common in newspapers. It even appears on this wonderful forum.

theartfulbodger":1w9gldkp said:
There's always exceptions which is what makes the English language more fun,

There ARE always exceptions.

Latest posts

Back