Spelling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Chaps

I with Hudson Carpentry on this, I am dislexic and spelling is something I just can't learn.
It might seem simple to normal people but to us its nearly impossible, English is they hardest language it shows up us dislexics really well.
I am old enough to have been considered thick at school and not helped in any way, or even entered into the english exam (I think they wanted to keep the pass rate up)
So have a thought before you critise some one they might just be dislexic.

Pete

I think one should be bothered to learn to spell, but should not be put off from having a go and getting it wrong, by a lot of tedious old farts who spend their lives complaining about everything!

My god I agree with Jacob :wink:

Its what you say not how you type it.

Pete

Pete, not critisising anyone who can't spell, only those who can't be bothered, or like Jacob who think that it's not important. People in your position fight a constant day to day battle in the modern world 'cos, as I pointed out, it closes many doors. Those who fight that battle have my respect, those who can't bothered, haven't.
I am profoundly deaf, I am fully aware of the difficulties some people have to live with, believe me!
Jacob, if it wasn't for us old farts you'd have nothing to moan about, so think of us as doing you a favour, or as you once stated, if you don't like, don't read it, remember?

Roy.

mailee":6rn9te6a said:
What really grates on me is the use of 'an' without the vowels, it's used after a,e,i,o,u for gods sake!

not quite as simple as that Alan as it depends on how the word is pronounced i.e. an hour or a uniform! Oh and if we are being pedants, it should be "for God's sake" :roll:

promhandicam":30axkz6n said:
mailee":30axkz6n said:
What really grates on me is the use of 'an' without the vowels, it's used after a,e,i,o,u for gods sake!

not quite as simple as that Alan as it depends on how the word is pronounced i.e. an hour or a uniform! Oh and if we are being pedants, it should be "for God's sake" :roll:

An is a word that stumps me all the time and often wonder if A or AN is the correct one to use. I say the sentence, once with an and once with a then decide which sounds better.

Are you saying that you use 'an' only if the following word doesn't start with an a,e,i,o or u?

chunkolini":33iqpmij said:
A bit of a random jump above from discussing spelling to going on about immigration.
Sounds like the casual racism spouted by The Daily Mail.

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong, I've fought against racism in all it's forms for most of my life. I was simply making the point that many immigrants have a better grasp of English than some Brits do, so it's hardly surprising that some employers should choose them in preference. I've employed many foreign workers myself for that very reason, and will continue to do so if they're better qualified to do the job.

HC, generally you use an before a word that starts with a vowel (a, e, i, o, u) but also with words that sound like they start with a vowel - as in hour which sounds like our - the h is silent. Conversely, if a word that begins with a vowel sounds like one that starts with a consonant - uniform sounds like you-ni-form then it is preceded by a!

promhandicam":3e70jmox said:
HC, generally you use an before a word that starts with a vowel (a, e, i, o, u) but also with words that sound like they start with a vowel - as in hour which sounds like our - the h is silent. Conversely, if a word that begins with a vowel sounds like one that starts with a consonant - uniform sounds like you-ni-form then it is preceded by a!

The one that annoys me is people saying "an hotel" as I was taught that dropping ones H's was very bad form. I will forgive the Americans for "an herb" as they tend to pronouce it "erb". Still don't like it though.

promhandicam":1ckr0bok said:

Thanks!

Digit":ki4mgcy6 said:
Jacob, if it wasn't for us old farts you'd have nothing to moan about, so think of us as doing you a favour, or as you once stated, if you don't like, don't read it, remember?

Roy.

God bless the Ignore List, Roy!

paultnl":d0u3h370 said:
The one that annoys me is people saying "an hotel" as I was taught that dropping ones H's was very bad form.
Oddly enough "an 'otel" was how it used to be said amongst the well-to-do until comparatively recently. (Pre-war, or thereabouts)

What drives me up the wall is when people end their sentences with a query? When they actually should be using a full stop. They walk among us, even here.

I can accept dyslexic spelling or quick spelling mistakes, and have even made the their/there mistake myself, however the meaning is there, and on a fast forum that's fine, but....if there is one thing that driving me nuts it's
"would of, should of, could of" as in:-
I should of spelt it properly
instead of
I should've spelt it properly.
Meaning
I should have spelt it properly.
This is relatively recent perpetuated mistake that seems to be the accepted norm now.

Alan

Alf":auf9mlip said:
paultnl":auf9mlip said:
The one that annoys me is people saying "an hotel" as I was taught that dropping ones H's was very bad form.
Oddly enough "an 'otel" was how it used to be said amongst the well-to-do until comparatively recently. (Pre-war, or thereabouts)

A hour and an half?

It depends on whether the h is stressed or not (it is in half, it is not in hour).

Northern yokels do what they like anyway; the rules are for those ruffians.

Ther's not a lot of hope when national news lines are hopeless....

that's all police are saying at the moment. Post mortems will take place this afternoon."

....from Sky.

Roy.

Digit":3uzs1x3f said:
Ther's not a lot of hope when national news lines are hopeless....

that's all police are saying at the moment. Post mortems will take place this afternoon."

....from Sky.

Roy.
What's wrong with that? Excepting your own lazy spelling mistake; "there's" has two Es.

Back