Spelling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drunk-irish-048.gif

Roy.

foxhunter":3nal3c6j said:
One I like:

Is the word YES disappearing from the English language? Absolutely.

Now that is amazing!

I discovered on Friday that the word 'innit' is now permissible in Scrabble. Thus, it must be in the OED. That really is the limit for me. I am going to come back in another life as Hermit the Frog :|

It's not to do with if it's in the OED or not John, Scrabble, recently, worried about youngsters not being able to do it and therefore not interested in buying it, or playing it and preferring "Cahll of Dooody", - are being encouraged to have it easier with proper names included.
But then, (for those in the know) "za" has been acceptable for years as a deminishment of Pizza in Australia (ian).
When you've played as long as I have against Mrs. Doyle - who has a Masters' in Shakespeare studies - one tends to get quite competitive and learn all the possible two letter words. This is my only defence against a girl who has an unhealthy knowledge of permissible middle English.
Also, we have an advantage with words like "fleam" and "swarf" . Very useful. High scoring compared to "Innit".

Richard T":34qlydds said:
When you've played as long as I have against Mrs. Doyle - who has a Masters' in Shakespeare studies.....
I used to play, and always lose, against my Mum. For a girl with an interrupted, war time, poor education she didn't arf know a lot of words. :(

Richard T":1khdffak said:
It's not to do with if it's in the OED or not John, Scrabble, recently, worried about youngsters not being able to do it and therefore not interested in buying it, or playing it and preferring "Cahll of Dooody", - are being encouraged to have it easier with proper names included.
But then, (for those in the know) "za" has been acceptable for years as a deminishment of Pizza in Australia (ian).
When you've played as long as I have against Mrs. Doyle - who has a Masters' in Shakespeare studies - one tends to get quite competitive and learn all the possible two letter words. This is my only defence against a girl who has an unhealthy knowledge of permissible middle English.
Also, we have an advantage with words like "fleam" and "swarf" . Very useful. High scoring compared to "Innit".

Thanks Richard..

I used to like a game of Scrabble. Somehow I think I will have lost interest then!
We played it a lot before we had the children. And in the RN it was popular, although I remember one guy who caused a 'time' ruling, because he just would NOT get on with his 'turn' taking ages to deliberate on finding that elusive 'go'! Happy days...

Don't forget 'kerf' and 'arris'!

:D

From Popular Archaeology...

The study, conducted by a team of scientists led by W. Roebroeks of Leiden University, examined and analyzed a sample of red material retrieved from excavations originally conducted during the 1980's at the Maastricht-Belvédère Neanderthal site in the Netherlands. The excavations exposed scatterings of well-preserved flint and bone artifacts that were produced in a river valley during the Middle Pleistocene full interglacial period. During the coarse of the excavation, soil samples were also collected, a typical procedure when excavating a site. Within the soil samples were traces of a reddish material. The samples were subjected to various forms of analyses and experimentation to study their physical properties. They identified the reddish material as hematite, a common mineral form of iron oxide that was used for pigmentation by prehistoric populations.

...it's contag, con, er, it's spreading!

Roy.

Digit":2d241f7k said:
Yep!

Roy.
Wrong again!

"Coarse" yes. "Analyzed" is American spelling; correct if it's an American article. "Analyses" is plural of "analysis".

Is this the most boring thread in the universe or what!

Am I the only person who thinks that the hijacking of the word result is so stupid? I believe it originates in football with managers saying things like "We are looking for a result tonight".

Losing 10-nil is a result. A draw is a result.

Only this morning the new England rugby coach said on the radio, " We have taken two results and if we win on Saturday, we will be happy to take the result".

Absolute gobbledegook, both the result bit and the win bit.

Back