Speedy service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I placed a big order for Jap chisels with Matthew at lunchtime yesterday...a big box has just been delivered by the postie.

Nicely done Matthew...and Royal Mail - Rob

yes well done Matthew. I also seem to have good luck with the Royal Mail, apart from one parcel recently gone missing, they normally get 1st class parcels to me next day.

nah, takes seconds with a belt sander and 40grit :shock: :lol:

He'll still be flattening then :)

I'd like to see some pics too, did you go for the professional series ones in the end? Says pre-order mid May still on the website.

chingerspy":2qydweld said:
He'll still be flattening then :)

I'd like to see some pics too, did you go for the professional series ones in the end? Says pre-order mid May still on the website.
Professional series :wink: ...that's 'cos I cleaned Matthew out :lol:

Ref the back flattening...I have a cunning plan :wink:

Paul - for a while yes, but if you've not used one of Matthew's chisel's, it's a bit of a revelation just how sharp :shock: :shock: they can be. The effort is worth it.

I think I could become a collector 8-[ - Rob

On the subject of good service, I'll put in another thumbs up for Classic Hand Tools. I was waiting for a delivery and it seemed to be taking konger than usual so popped off a quick email to Alex and got a reply straight back saying that their supplier had not delivered 1 item to them. Asked if I was desperate and said not really as the bit I needed soonest was the one on order. They then decided to split the order at no cost to me and also chucked in one of their abranet sample packs for free.

It's service like that that keeps me going back to companies like CHT, Workshop Heaven, Axminster, Wealden Tools and Behlen

Isnt one of the benefits of Japanese chisels that they are quicker to flatten because of the grooves along the face ?

Alan Jones":b5bi76or said:
Isnt one of the benefits of Japanese chisels that they are quicker to flatten because of the grooves along the face ?
If you pay a lot of money for them...yes, as they're lapped flat by the maker (or one of his minions) The hand forged chisels at the WH end of the market (and they are really excellent btw) have a bump just behind the edge which is difficult to remove as the steel is so hard...but I have a plan :wink: - Rob

Did you buy the paring chisels then Rob - some of which are still in stock? If not then I'm confused :?

woodbloke":x1qlc5og said:
. . . Like Alf, I don't like hoopy handled chisels and for that reason couldn't abide my Jap chisels, for fine paring I always ended up with a red weal in the palm of my right hand :( so they eventually went via the bay - Rob

Steve

promhandicam":5tpv5qtn said:
Did you buy the paring chisels then Rob - some of which are still in stock? If not then I'm confused :?

woodbloke":5tpv5qtn said:
. . . Like Alf, I don't like hoopy handled chisels and for that reason couldn't abide my Jap chisels, for fine paring I always ended up with a red weal in the palm of my right hand :( so they eventually went via the bay - Rob

Steve
Yup...bought four of the parers as well. Part of the issue with the hooped chisels is actually taking some time to seat the hoops and then mushroom over the end. If it's done properly (which I didn't do before :oops: ) then the overall effect if comfortable. Excellent instructions given on Joel's site on how to do this - Rob

woodbloke":3gprc24x said:
. . . . Excellent instructions given on Joel's site on how to do this - Rob

These instructions? If to they are the ones I followed when I set the hoops on my Japanese chisels and they are fairly straight forward.

woodbloke wrote
The hand forged chisels at the WH end of the market (and they are really excellent btw) have a bump just behind the edge which is difficult to remove as the steel is so hard.

Rob I cannot get my head around this have you got a photo?

I have a fair mixture of Japanese chisels (Matsumura, Miyanaga, Iyoroi, Yuusuke) and never experienced this?
They have all been easy to prepare.

Rod

Well kudos to Matthew for his efficient delivery, but I think I'll stick with my LN chisels and Blue Spruce parers. I'm not sure I could be bothered with the flattening.

Ed

Harbo":3mcpj49n said:
woodbloke wrote
The hand forged chisels at the WH end of the market (and they are really excellent btw) have a bump just behind the edge which is difficult to remove as the steel is so hard.

Rob I cannot get my head around this have you got a photo?

I have a fair mixture of Japanese chisels (Matsumura, Miyanaga, Iyoroi, Yuusuke) and never experienced this?
They have all been easy to prepare.

Rod
Rod - the 'bump' is really too small to see in a pic, but if I place a rule on the heel of the blade and rotate it from side to side across the edge, the gap under the rule can clearly be seen...it's not much, but it's there - Rob

Back