Royal Mail - complete ban on bladed items from 22nd April

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere but apologies if it is a replication of an existing thread.

Where previously Royal Mail would deliver bladed items via the age verification service, they’re now removing that option from the 22nd April.

No chisels, marking knives, saws(?) wood planes, etc via Royal Mail…

Confirmation that the world hs indeed gone mad tackling "the problem" from the wrong end, still as long as a politician can get a soundbite out of it that will be alright. I've carried a pocket knife for 50 years without stabbing more than a cardboard box but run the risk of being criminalised and because I'm not allowed a lock knife doing serious injury to myself.

IMG-3608.jpg

No change from what I can see, they deliver sod all anyway, saying they won’t deliver something is just confirming IMO their standard operating procedure……you pay for postage, post item or parcel, they destroy it, loose it or just sign the proof of delivery and toss the package in the bin. Who still uses this ‘wonderful’ company when there are so many alternatives these days?

I use them frequently. As a regular eBay seller, I send approx 4 or 5 parcels a month, and there is almost a 100% delivery rate. I have perhaps had 2 or 3 go missing over the last 7 years as an active seller. I also use Parcel Force occasionally of very large or very heavy stuff, and sometimes DPD. I am wary of Evri though! But I have to admit I don't sell bladed stuff.

Just another dig at the likes of us that use tools as they were intended, i have owned knives and machetes and every type of sharp knife and as above the only person I’ve ever cut is myself. It’s just a waste of time as the criminals will have no problem sourcing weapons of all sorts. I wonder how many are dumb enough to order one via any delivery service using their own name and address..

Running a small online business in a rural location, the only people who will collect from my address are Royal Mail. I do have a bone or two to pick with them, but they deliver reliably in my experience. Glad I don't sell any blades though - I can image that someone in a similar situation as me who does sell them would be on a very sticky wicket come 22 April. As others have said, this will solve no problems whatsoever and I can't see why it's happening, unless it's some misguided virtue signalling.

I’ve found Royal Mail and Parcel Force to be good ……. Well compared to Evri when it went wrong with them it was always majorly and trying to get compensation a nightmare

Didn’t realise the change included chisels also just thought it was axes etc

I sell on eBay also around 10 items a week

Looking or a different courier now for axes although Evri seem to be only option

Any suggestions much appreciated a lot of them will not take axes now

Running a small online business in a rural location, the only people who will collect from my address are Royal Mail. I do have a bone or two to pick with them, but they deliver reliably in my experience. Glad I don't sell any blades though - I can image that someone in a similar situation as me who does sell them would be on a very sticky wicket come 22 April. As others have said, this will solve no problems whatsoever and I can't see why it's happening, unless it's some misguided virtue signalling.
How do they know exactly what is inside a parcel ? Just a thought.

The technology exists to scan every package similar to airport security - x-ray and metal detectors.

I am quite certain AI (either now or in the very near future) would enable 100% scanning with high levels of accuracy at low cost.

For entirely legitimate users of bladed tools it is an unnecessary impediment. For those who may use them inappropriately, they will simply find another way to procure what they want.

Millions (possibly billions) is poured into the battle against illegal drugs with limited success - they are still readily available for those who want. Legislation without the prospect of real impact is a a waste of time and effort which could be better deployed doing something more useful.

Here in Bulgaria, the post - and courier services - won't take firearms. As a shooter, I find it amusing that they're quite happy to collect and deliver "musical instruments" from and to gunsmiths, gunshops etc.....the couriers will even wait while the "guitars" etc are wrapped up in front of them. :cool:

Confirmation that the world hs indeed gone mad tackling "the problem" from the wrong end, still as long as a politician can get a soundbite out of it that will be alright. I've carried a pocket knife for 50 years without stabbing more than a cardboard box but run the risk of being criminalised and because I'm not allowed a lock knife doing serious injury to myself.
Exactly this, I have done the same, used to carry a Buck Knife for years amoungst other pocket knives for work, now I carry a non locking folding knife rfor work, never in my 59 years of living on this earth have I ever had even had the thought of hurting anything with them.

Back