Speed Awareness Course

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine was clocked at 82mph in a 40mph stretch on a straight road through a village, while out on his motorbike.
A policeman further up from the one with the speed gun flagged him down and asked if he knew what his speed had been.
He replied 79mph! The policeman said "we registered it at 82mph sir".
My friend said he was not going that fast and disputed the policeman's claim. He said he would argue that he was not doing 82mph in court but would admit he was doing 79mph!
When I asked him why, he told me that doing twice the speed limit or more was an automatic ban offence, whereas less than that was a fine and points but he would keep his licence.
He said the police would rather prosecute him at 79 and get a guilty plea than spend time and money on lawyers etc proving he did more than double!
He got the points and the fine but kept his licence.

Your friend's knowledge of motoring law is only that if you exceed the speed limit, you commit and offence. Beyond that his other remarks make no sense at all, for the following reasons:

In a 40MPH limit, if you do 41-55MPH, a police officer will usually give you an 'FPN' (fixed penalty notice, +100 fine), and you'll get 3 points on your licence. But if you already have nine points, you'll tot up to 12 points and will be off to court for possible/probable disqualification and a fine based on 50% of your weekly income.

If you do 56-65 in a 40 limit you'll be going to court, where you'll either be banned from driving for 7 - 28 days, or get 4-6 points plus a fine equal to 100% of your weekly income.

If you do over 66MPH in a 40 limit it will either be a ban for 7 - 56 days or 6 points, plus a fine equal to 150% of your weekly income.

The above information is based on the Sentencing Guidelines used by the Magistrates' and Crown Courts. (They're 'guidelines' not 'tramlines', and magistrates take into account individual cases base on the merits of the case).

If you exceed the national speed limit of 70MPH in a 40 limit or less, you risk being charged with dangerous driving as well as speeding. Over 100 MPH even in a 70 limit, and the sky falls in.

Don't take my word for it - you can check it for yourself here:

Speeding (Revised 2017) – Sentencing

Setting fines on income levels is based on the concept of what might be termed 'equal misery'. Fair treatment of individuals, which takes account of the disparity of incomes. £100 to some people might be a day's wage, more for those on welfare benefit, but to others, just petty cash.

Drivers/riders who passed their test less than 2 years before the offence and who get six points, are banned and have to retake the driving test to get their licence back.

The police don't 'prosecute' by the way - they report suspected offenders for prosecution - it's the Crown Prosecution Service who prosecute. If someone pleads not guilty, a police officer may be called by the CPS as a witness for the prosecution, and it's for the CPS (not the police) to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt. Any doubt goes in favour of the accused person.

In a trial (for any offence), only when the case has been proved are the magistrates allowed to know of any previous convictions, and when they consider the sentence, they will weigh up the mitigating and aggravating factors of both the offender and the offence. The aim is for courts to be consistent, whether your in Luton or Liverpool, Norwich or Nottingham, or wherever, that when everything is taken into account, the outcome will be broadly similar.

As to short bans, when I served as a magistrate I had mixed feeling about imposing them. To not impose a ban might be seen as a 'let off', but here's a rhetorical question: Put yourself in the place of a magistrate: If someone has six points already for two previous speeding offences, would you ban them for say 28 days, in which case they get a clean licence back, or would you stick 6 points on, and ban them for six months, (and they get a clean licence back). Or would you stick 4 points on, meaning they have ten points on their licence, hanging over their head like a sword or Damocles for three years, which might help them get their mind right, because if they commit another offence, that's 3 point making 13 in all and a 6 month's ban?).

What you really want is for offenders not to come to the attention of the court again, and though they're the architect of their own misfortune, many need to drive for work reasons, and imposing a ban, may in effect, be putting them out of work, imposing hardship on other family members. That alone ought to be deterrent enough, but to some 'toddler brained' delinquent adults, too often it isn't.

The cynic in me says that to improve road safety, maybe the should make cars more flimsy, with no crumple zones, no air bags, no seat belts, and instead, just have a 6" spike in the centre of the steering wheel. Not a very 'magisterial' thing to say, but then I'm not a magistrate any more - just a husband, father, grandfather, pedestrian, motorist, too young to die - too old to have an accident.

Anyone who drives for mile after mile on a motorway past average speed cameras, gets caught and moans to his mates about it should be laughed of the face of the planet, and really, ought to to be allowed out without a carer.

Quite enough from me I think.

David.

If you make generalised statements then you should really know how your own vehicle performs.
That aside, it's not a simple equation as there are many reports that traffic jams are being caused by the lower speeds, I don't know if that's correct but if it is than standstill and crawling traffic is pushing out emissions at a higher rate, e.g. idling and very low speed in 1st gear is the least efficient way to drive. The most economical appears to be between 40 - 55mph but of course that depends on whether petrol or diesel, gearing and several other factors.
Think there is a bit of confusion going on here. It is not more economical to drive at 40-55mph compared to say 10mph. That would defy the laws of physics.

If your engine is doing 1800rpm and you are doing 10mph your engine will have significantly less work required than if it is doing 1800rpm at 40-55mph. Even if it wasn't, why would 1800rpm suddenly become more efficient at 40-55mph? Sure if you drive at 10mph and redline your engine then it will use more fuel than it should.

the point of being more efficient at various quoted speeds is in comparison to the maximum speed permitted. Air resistance becomes the primary factor over rolling resistance over about 55mph so the faster you go the more energy required. Doing 60mph on a motor is more efficient than 70mph as you aren't pushing the air out the way quite so quickly.

Don't know. But to be realistic the 20 limit change is not going to make much difference to anybodys overall fuel economy, or journey times, as has been pointed out over and over again.
It does affect journey times, how could it not? The results so far show that it has added extra time to the journeys of care workers in Cardiff, so much so that they can't get to all their existing clients in a day. It has also affected delivery drivers.

It has an impact on first responders, such as the fire service. Where they are reliant,( as they are in this part of the country), on staff who have other jobs, The simple task of getting to the fire station in an emergency takes longer, as they are not allowed to break the speed limit in their own vehicles on their journey there. And, a vehicle cannot leave the station without a full crew.

...when a crazy driver zig zagged in and out of all lanes at about 80mph and it threw the system out so even my son put his foot on the break. IMO so long as their is one crazy guy on the roads total autonomy is out of the question unlees can run on tracked roads.
I understand this is a very real issue; I recall reading an article discussing the testing of self-driving systems in the face of aggressive/bullying motorists and the results were not good - in the sense that it would cause a lot of issues on the road with the self-driving cars trying to take avoiding action.

The cynic in me says that to improve road safety, maybe the should make cars more flimsy, with no crumple zones, no air bags, no seat belts, and instead, just have a 6" spike in the centre of the steering wheel. Not a very 'magisterial' thing to say, but then I'm not a magistrate any more - just a husband, father, grandfather, pedestrian, motorist, too young to die - too old to have an accident.
Tulloch spike. Bring it on......

It does affect journey times, how could it not?
By virtue of average time through 20 zones not being much less than when still 30, as it often can fall below 20 due to other traffic.
The results so far show that it has added extra time to the journeys of care workers in Cardiff, so much so that they can't get to all their existing clients in a day. It has also affected delivery drivers.
Evidence?
n.b. it is well known that care workers get a very rough deal in terms of pay/travel/zero-hours-contracts so if their welfare is to be considered then that is where it should start.
Delivery drivers too.
Funny that petrol heads are suddenly concerned about the less well off when previously they wouldn't have given a monkey's! Same with ULEZ.
It has an impact on first responders, such as the fire service. Where they are reliant,( as they are in this part of the country), on staff who have other jobs, The simple task of getting to the fire station in an emergency takes longer, as they are not allowed to break the speed limit in their own vehicles on their journey there. And, a vehicle cannot leave the station without a full crew.
If it really is an issue then it could be dealt with in various ways such as allowing them to break the limit, perhaps with flashing lights. I guess they'd need training too. But between 20 and 30 I guess there'd not be much in it.
A lot of people are getting hysterical about this still, but they are the last ones to take any notice of, unless they have real evidence or experience.

Last edited:
Think there is a bit of confusion going on here. It is not more economical to drive at 40-55mph compared to say 10mph. That would defy the laws of physics.
Far be it from me to agree with a petrol head but apparently Lons might be correct.
It's obvious really - at zero mph with an engine running you are getting zero miles per gallon. As you speed up the energy needed to run the engine itself is still greater than that needed to shift the car, up to a point, according to the whole vehicle design.
But it isn't the issue so Lons is missing the point anyway . 🤣
I was surprised by this graph too: Mpg For Speed - Fuel Efficiency Vs. Speed

Last edited:
Far be it from me to agree with a petrol head but apparently Lons might be correct.

My image of Lons isn’t one of a petrol head. I think from previous posts he has a Merc and a mobile home/camper van rather than a hot hatch with twin tail pipes 🤔🤣

As I understand it most fuel use/emissions arise from acceleration so accelerating to 20mph produces less than doing so to 30mph.

I also expect there is a big variance between older and newer cars. Many cars being produced now switch off rather than idle in waiting traffic. Of course as the proportion of EVs increases it’s much less of an issue.

Going back to the original post I think speed awareness courses are a good thing. I doubt there are many motorists that don’t err at some point and being reminded of the folly of our ways on a first offence is far better than a fine and points on the licence.

I also think the world is in too much of a rush. If we all slowed down on the roads and showed a bit more consideration to and of other road users there would be fewer accidents and we’d all be less stressed!

Predictably, the 20 limit is growing in popularity as the benefits become evident . The Tory attack on 20mph speed limits is already a losing battle | Roger Harrabin

".....61 local authorities in England have chosen an authority-wide limit of 20mph for villages and urban areas – and not a single one has reversed its policy. In fact, support for slower speed zones continues to grow as parents, children and others discover that in areas where the limit is enforced, cycling has become a safe option for travel. That means farewell to the taxi of Mum and Dad."

He's desperate to get some votes at election time.
Beats me why anyone would want to be PM, least of all someone who's stinking rich. Maybe he was bullied at school?
I suspect it's so he can introduce policies to get himself and his friends/family even more stinking rich - or am I too cynical?

Only two wheels will not be caught, cyclist not registered and motorbikes with only a rear plate.
Motorcyclists do get caught as the GATSO cameras take the photos from the rear.
Also the police do go to The Bike Show and scour the carparks, Motorcycle racing at tracks around the UK too.
They will even speak to distributors of leathers so if they get images of a special set of leathers which are often limited edition or custom made, they can get purchaser details and go door knocking.

How do I know? I've been delivering Speed Awareness Courses since 2006.

Any questions that you have, please feel free to ask but I must add that responses to questions are purely personal responses bases upon training and experience.

ISA, intelligent speed assist is becoming mandatory for new vehicles from next year. All new vehicles will have to show the driver what the speed limit is and achieve mandatory levels of accuracy. My wife’s car, Volvo, already has it and can limit the vehicle to the speed limit automatically.
and can you switch it off / disable it ?

If so then it has no value whatsoever to road safety. It will be a bit like the 20mph speed limit (we have had that for over 2 years now) The good drivers who were never a problem when it was 30 are now driving slower, where as, the idiots who never took any notice of speed limits, are just continuing as they have always done.

My image of Lons isn’t one of a petrol head. I think from previous posts he has a Merc and a mobile home/camper van rather than a hot hatch with twin tail pipes 🤔🤣

As I understand it most fuel use/emissions arise from acceleration so accelerating to 20mph produces less than doing so to 30mph.

I also expect there is a big variance between older and newer cars. Many cars being produced now switch off rather than idle in waiting traffic. Of course as the proportion of EVs increases it’s much less of an issue.

Going back to the original post I think speed awareness courses are a good thing. I doubt there are many motorists that don’t err at some point and being reminded of the folly of our ways on a first offence is far better than a fine and points on the licence.

I also think the world is in too much of a rush. If we all slowed down on the roads and showed a bit more consideration to and of other road users there would be fewer accidents and we’d all be less stressed!
Yeah thanks I'm not a petrol head I just like cars and take very good care of the ones we have. I don't drive at excessive speed and though my Merc is an SUV it's mid sized not a "Chelsea Tractor". I have no issue with anyone who does drive one btw, they contribute a lot more to the government coffers in road tax and over £40k penalties than I do and it's their choice. I'll buy an EV when the prices are more realistic and the infrastructure is properly in place, if that ever happens.

I agree with 100% with your last sentence but the reverse of that are people driving at 30mph on busy country roads oblivious to a long tailback following then you get a dickh**d overtakes several cars on a blind bend, the cause of many accidents around here.

Driving in the highest gear at between about 45 - 55mph seems to be the general view if you believe what organisations like the RAC suggest.

It's odd that some of residents of popular holiday areas seem to moan like hell about tourist traffic when much of their economy relies on it. ( Cornwall - tourism contributes 12% of GDP and supports around 1 in 5 jobs ).
I prefer to take the motorhome to Scotland and the North York Moors where people are more welcoming. I don't clog up the towns with a big motorhome btw as I tow a little Skoda 1.0l to tootle around in. Can't use bikes as the missus has mobility issues and we also have an aging Labrador mutt.

I haven't gone through the whole thread but will say the powers that will force everyone into fully automated cars will be... insurance costs!

One there are enough automated (robotic) vehicles on the road, and they are sufficiently networked together (i.e talking to each other about speed, hazards, driving conditions) the number of accidents for bot-driven vehicles will likely be substantially less than human- driven ones, and the damage from any accident also substantially less.

Consider a bot v bot accident. Probably quite rare and causing little damage, and easy to apportion blame (insurance firms might even take a 50/50 liability approach for bot-v-bot, to keep costs down)

Bot-v-human, probably quite frequent, probably high damage, and probably caused by the human thus leaving their insurer to bear 100% of the costs. (because bots can react quicker). p

Human-v-Human as today, messy and argumentative.

The costs/ benefit argument is a no brainer. If you want the luxury of driving yourself, you are clearly a dangerous risk-loving speed freak and you will be paying an appropriaten risk premium.
All those crazy zigzagging petrol heads will be largely priced out of the insurance market. They will still exist, but I imagine enforcement will be so much easier for police when 90% of the traffic doesn't need monitoring...

Still 15-20 years away, maybe.

Consider a bot v bot accident. Probably quite rare and causing little damage, and easy to apportion blame (insurance firms might even take a 50/50 liability approach for bot-v-bot, to keep costs down)
That is one view, although I did see a youtube video by an American lawyer who was positively salivating at the prospect of the increased legal activity resulting from simple car accidents. His view was that rather then driver A suing driver B, they might also sue their car manufacturer, their bot manufacturer (not necessarily the same as the car manufacturer), driver B's car manufacturer, driver B's bot manufacturer and probably others I have forgotten. It will be interesting to see what actually happens.

If you want the luxury of driving yourself, you are clearly a dangerous risk-loving speed freak and you will be paying an appropriate risk premium.
Ironic to read that on a forum where most of us insist on using dangerous sharp tools by hand rather than CNC machines.

That is one view, although I did see a youtube video by an American lawyer who was positively salivating at the prospect of the increased legal activity resulting from simple car accidents. His view was that rather then driver A suing driver B, they might also sue their car manufacturer, their bot manufacturer (not necessarily the same as the car manufacturer), driver B's car manufacturer, driver B's bot manufacturer and probably others I have forgotten. It will be interesting to see what actually happens.

Ironic to read that on a forum where most of us insist on using dangerous sharp tools by hand rather than CNC machines.
This is a very big topic in the industry right now. If the vehicle is driving then the ‘driver’ can’t be liable. Some countries are looking at legislation that would let the vehicle be classified as the driver. Right now it’s the person in the driving seat. If that happens then the manufacturer could be liable not the ‘owner’. Of course not all car manufacturers develop their own driving software. There are a number of large tier 1 companies out there that do that as well as chip companies, specialist camera companies, even the likes of Google are getting in on the act. The manufacturers pass the liability on to the supplier of the component (software) so the “who is responsible” question is definitely going to get more complicated and for sure the lawyers will be all over it in a feeding frenzy.
Right now China is well ahead of the rest of the world in the adoption of AD partly because of the fact that lawyers in China are tightly controlled so that the companies creating the solutions have more protection to try something new. To put this in context a vehicle released in the EU by one of the large manufacturers will have been tested over 97% of its ODD (the bounds of what it should do). A similar vehicle from a Chinese manufacturer released in China will have been tested to about 30% of its ODD.
The reality is that it is lawyers who are holding back or slowing down the introduction and adoption of AD in the west.

It's odd that some of residents of popular holiday areas seem to moan like hell about tourist traffic when much of their economy relies on it. ( Cornwall - tourism contributes 12% of GDP and supports around 1 in 5 jobs ).
Tourism also costs such places a lot, when you take into account the second home market and how it forces up house prices for the locals. There are villages in Cornwall for instance that have 70% of the houses left empty for the vast majority of the year, just so some greedy fool can have have a day or two in his or her favourite spot, while complaining if any "affordable" houses get put up for the locals and spoil the view. This has the effect of putting up house prices, both to buy and to rent and traps a lot of people in poverty. It's high time an end was put to this - it would free up thousands and thousands of houses for use by people that need a place to live.

Last edited:

It's probably the 4 in 5 who get no benefit? 🤔 80% of the population.
.... I don't clog up the towns with a big motorhome btw as I tow a little Skoda 1.0l to tootle around in. ...
That's a bit odd.
Ever thought of getting a vehicle to tow the motorhome instead? What about a mid sized Merc SUV?
The motorhome wouldn't need an engine then, not to mention MOT, tax, and the weight!
I'm surprised nobody has thought of it, it seems so obvious.
Could call it a "caravan" or something?
And you wouldn't need the Skoda! It's win win!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back