Speed Awareness Course

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
My teccy son has come over from the US to stay with us and has "found" my adpaptive cruise control on my Kia Niro and it works great especially useful in our big brother blanket 20mph limit. My son set it at 20mph- most of us in our area now realise that it virtually impossible to stick to 20mph manually which is highly dangerous to atempt.
Not once you have got used to it. It can help if you stick to the simple rule of using the gears; 1st up to 10mph, 2nd to 20, 3rd 30, 4th 40 etc. This is one thing you get told on speed awareness courses.

My car is an automatic and 20 mph is right on the change over of gears so it's a pain, and the whole point of an auto is the convenience when driving in heavy traffic and stop go areas. Flicking into manual to hold gears rather defeats the object and no, I have not intention of changing the car.

Last edited:
So on that basis you're going to drive around those 20mph areas in second gear, that's really going to help the environment. ;)
It's about road safety not the environment.
Could have environmental benefits of course, if car owners are persuaded to buy cars which are more economical at low speeds.

Is yours?
Don't know. But to be realistic the 20 limit change is not going to make much difference to anybodys overall fuel economy, or journey times, as has been pointed out over and over again.

If a speed limit is all about safety, why does it still apply on an empty road in the middle of the night?

My car is an automatic and 20 mph is right on the change over of gears so it's a pain, and the whole point of an auto is the convenience when driving in heavy traffic and stop go areas. Flicking into manual to hold gears rather defeats the object and no, I have not intention of changing the car.
Don't move to Wales.

Don't know. But to be realistic the 20 limit change is not going to make much difference to anybodys overall fuel economy, or journey times, as has been pointed out over and over again.
If you make generalised statements then you should really know how your own vehicle performs.
That aside, it's not a simple equation as there are many reports that traffic jams are being caused by the lower speeds, I don't know if that's correct but if it is than standstill and crawling traffic is pushing out emissions at a higher rate, e.g. idling and very low speed in 1st gear is the least efficient way to drive. The most economical appears to be between 40 - 55mph but of course that depends on whether petrol or diesel, gearing and several other factors.

If you make generalised statements then you should really know how your own vehicle performs.
Doesn't follow.
That aside, it's not a simple equation as there are many reports that traffic jams are being caused by the lower speeds,
Odd that, traffic jams traditionally cause low speeds, are not caused by them. I don't think anything has changed.
Have traffic jams increased? I doubt it. Logically, slow speeds should reduce traffic jams as people will be arriving at slow spots later rather than sooner, with fewer tailbacks.

There have been a number of speed limit changes locally over the past year or so. A 30 has been extended, and 20 introduced in the town centre. For the first few months enforcement vans were around a couple of times a week until locals got used to the new limits, it has worked well except for the Chelsea tractor drivers. Why on earth does personal transport need to weigh 2½ tonnes!

Once tourist season starts 20 is aspirational, one of the joys of living in the Cotswolds 🤬

There have been a number of speed limit changes locally over the past year or so. A 30 has been extended, and 20 introduced in the town centre. For the first few months enforcement vans were around a couple of times a week until locals got used to the new limits, it has worked well except for the Chelsea tractor drivers. Why on earth does personal transport need to weigh 2½ tonnes!

Once tourist season starts 20 is aspirational, one of the joys of living in the Cotswolds 🤬
Chelsea tractor essential to show off your wealth to the peasants of course, and quite literally look down on everyone else. The downside of this ostentatious nonsense tragically demonstrated recently in Wimbledon.

Cornwall tourist season:
I once counted, on average...... every 4th car that came towards me on a regular 10 mile drive to work was a chelsea tractor / SUV whatever.
If you meet one on a narrow road, apparently the reverse gear doesn't work

Back to the original thread though....

Interesting conversation on Politics Live right this very minute (re the tory conference) Apparently Rishi, wants to put a stop on all these traffic calming / speed restrictions particularly the 20mph calling it a war on motorists .....

Back to the original thread though....

Interesting conversation on Politics Live right this very minute (re the tory conference) Apparently Rishi, wants to put a stop on all these traffic calming / speed restrictions particularly the 20mph calling it a war on motorists .....
He's desperate to get some votes at election time.
Beats me why anyone would want to be PM, least of all someone who's stinking rich. Maybe he was bullied at school?

Back