Speed Awareness Course

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This would need to be a constant load with all parameters fixed, but it is far more complex with many parameters that will change fuel consumption and dyno's will run power curves to get everything maped to meet requirements and legislation on emisions. One of the reasons start-stop was introduced was to reduce pollution from stationary vehicles in traffic, but there is an engine speed / load range that is most efficient and outside of this has always been only a intermediate range to get from stationary to x mph and not always that clean so trying to maintain 20mph could be in a more polluting engine speed range than 30mph and in many cases running higher RPM in a lower gear. The end result is you spend more time passing through a town whilst delivering more pollution. Trucks could be even worse, especially if fully loaded.
As has been mentioned multiple times, the 20mph limits are not about emissions, they're about collisions with children.

If the visitors are that wealthy, then why can they not afford a hotel? They'll be paying hundreds of thousands for the property, plus regular upkeep costs and everything else, when they could get a hotel or B+B holiday for much less.

No different to owning a yacht, an expensive car or wearing fancy shoes and is something termed " status symbols" which they can boast about over expensive champagne dinners with there other colleagues. To them it is loose change but to us a small fortune and is one of the benefits of good accountants, offshore accounts and tax avoidance schemes. There is a property in a small lakeland village that must be worth at least 3/4 of a million and the owner who I believe lives in Oxfordshire only uses it for a few weeks a year but does apparently employ someone to look after the gardens and keep it clean, a complete waste of a resource.

No different to owning a yacht, an expensive car or wearing fancy shoes and is something termed " status symbols" which they can boast about over expensive champagne dinners with there other colleagues. To them it is loose change but to us a small fortune and is one of the benefits of good accountants, offshore accounts and tax avoidance schemes. There is a property in a small lakeland village that must be worth at least 3/4 of a million and the owner who I believe lives in Oxfordshire only uses it for a few weeks a year but does apparently employ someone to look after the gardens and keep it clean, a complete waste of a resource.
They’re only status symbols in the eyes of the beholder.

As has been mentioned multiple times, the 20mph limits are not about emissions, they're about collisions with children.
So why not educate children about road safety, bring back Tufty the squirrel Tufty - RoSPA and the green cross code.

This is no different from machinery and safety, rather than take away the sharp blades we learn about safe use of the machine.

An even bigger issue are the phone zombies, they are walking in one world but living in another whilst taking the risk of ending up in another.

So why not educate children about road safety, bring back Tufty the squirrel Tufty - RoSPA and the green cross code.

This is no different from machinery and safety, rather than take away the sharp blades we learn about safe use of the machine.

An even bigger issue are the phone zombies, they are walking in one world but living in another whilst taking the risk of ending up in another.
So the adult wielding a ton of blunt force wants to make safety the responsibility of the child? Nice.

So the adult wielding a ton of blunt force wants to make safety the responsibility of the child? Nice.
So would you tell a child that because roads are now 20mph it’s OK to cross them without looking because it’s not going to hurt as much?

Here's a really naive question. - If an engine on a test bed runs for an hour and consumes a set amount of fuel, and then runs for an additional half hour I'm logically assuming that it will consume half as much fuel again - the difference between 30 and 20 Mph, So, is fitting this engine into a vehicle and test driving it at these two differing speeds really going to show that this difference in fuel consumption will disappear?
In theory, no; because travelling the same distance at 20mph should use less fuel vs travelling the same distance at 30mph (even though it will take 50% more time to do the same journey at a constant 20mph vs 30mph).

As an extreme example (and referencing something I mentioned earlier) the claimed figure for the Bugatti Veyron is that it'd run its ~100 litre fuel tank dry in 12 minutes if run at its ~250mph top speed; in which time it'd do about 50 miles.

The claimed range for "normal" driving looks to be around 250 miles; so you can drive a lot further (distance) at a lower speed, even though it takes a longer time.

1696349362055.jpeg

If the visitors are that wealthy, then why can they not afford a hotel? They'll be paying hundreds of thousands for the property, plus regular upkeep costs and everything else, when they could get a hotel or B+B holiday for much less. If they still want to buy the property, that's fine, they can rent it out and someone else will have a home, meaning that the town or village will have permanent residents to support local businesses and amenities around the year, not just for a few months of it. Meanwhile the owner pockets the rent money and can afford another holiday - where's the downside in that. If they are staying in a hotel, the money still goes to the local inhabitants and creates jobs along the way.
Money may not be the dominant motivator for those with the money for a 2nd home.
  • they may be interested in the investment and capital gain that a property may bring
  • property may be part of a balanced wealth portfolio along with shares, bonds, etc
  • owning a place means that you can go on a whim rather than book in advance
  • it may be easier to manage children in a "home" rather than hotel
  • it enables largesse to family and friends
  • a full set of personal items can be kept in the 2nd home - avoids packing to go away
  • status - just like cars, clothes, jewellery a 2nd home is a tangible statement of self worth
You are right they could buy and rent out to a local for the capital gain and income. Fundamental questions - at what rental, who would live there if not 2nd home owners, without 2nd home owners what would the growth potential be.

They have a premium value only because they are 2nd homes - drive 3-5 miles up the road to somewhere less twee and prices often halve. I suspect the investment motive is incidental not the principal reason for purchase.

Had I (say) £3-500k to spend on a second property, rather than select said twee seaside location I would be more interested in fundamentals - areas with lots of potential tenants, proven letting market and rents, near universities, large hospitals, access to urban business districts etc.

If they are that wealthy then they have no incentive to rent it out. That’s the problem. They aren’t looking for an income, just putting money in to a relatively safe investment that they can spend a couple of weekends in and brag about to their peer group.
Yes, if you buy for say £250,000 now and you know if you sell in ten or fifteen years time it'll sell for £500,000 so what if you use it only for a few days a year.

I was driving through a village last evening around 8pm. this thread popped into my head as I wondered when was the last time I saw a child on the street?

I was driving through a village last evening around 8pm. this thread popped into my head as I wondered when was the last time I saw a child on the street?
There is no reason why speed limits shouldn't be variable - it's been done in other Countries. No one would argue with a 20mph outside a school in the daytime, but why overnight? The is five miles of road near me that does from 30mph to 40mph back to 30mph then 40mph then 30mph again - you could drive it at night and not see another vehicle or pedestrian. 99.99% of people obey laws they see as sensible and necessary, and some speed limits are not - our local councillor and prospective MP (he hasn't a hope) quite openly admits the 20mph limits that are going to blanket this area are because the County Council are attempting to reach net zero before everyone else. The guy is a dick.

There is no reason why speed limits shouldn't be variable - it's been done in other Countries. No one would argue with a 20mph outside a school in the daytime, but why overnight? The is five miles of road near me that does from 30mph to 40mph back to 30mph then 40mph then 30mph again - you could drive it at night and not see another vehicle or pedestrian. 99.99% of people obey laws they see as sensible and necessary, and some speed limits are not - our local councillor and prospective MP (he hasn't a hope) quite openly admits the 20mph limits that are going to blanket this area are because the County Council are attempting to reach net zero before everyone else. The guy is a dick.
Isn’t the problem that legislation has to apply to the lowest common denominator? It’s normally a very small minority that sets the restrictions for the majority. IF people could be trusted to put others safety first there wouldn’t need to be any speed limits.

I remember as a kid of about 12 or 13 I was at a friends house. His dad's dodgy friend and son (about 12yrs) were there, and why he'd want to impress me I don't know, but I do recall vividly the conversation (DDF = Dad's dodgy friend, DDFS Dad's dodgy friend's son, Me = me!).

DDF "Guess how long it took us to get her?"
Me "From Basildon? I dunno, 20 minutes?"
DDF "No 5 minutes, didn't it son?"
DDFS "Yeah, I timed it. 5 minutes"
Me "But that's 15 miles"
DDF "Yeah, almost exactly"
Me "That's 3 miles a minute"
DDF "Yup"
Me "That's 180 miles an hour"
short pause, then
DDF "It don't work like that boy."

.... our local councillor and prospective MP (he hasn't a hope) quite openly admits the 20mph limits that are going to blanket this area are because the County Council are attempting to reach net zero before everyone else. The guy is a dick.
He's also deluded. The difference would be irrelevant and absolutely minuscule in the bigger picture.

Latest posts

Back