Speaker boxes/cabinets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some of the Scan-Speak 21W/8554 drivers he used in the Phoenix open baffle design (actually originally from a ported box design - Nemesis - from Wilmslow Audio) that I keep meaning to make some open baffle speakers. Never get time to do it though.
My single LX521 is up for grabs if you are interested - I have all the drives for the partner and most of the sub cabinet is pre-assembled but unpainted +old style active crossovers and 2 spare SEAS sub drivers

My single LX521 is up for grabs if you are interested - I have all the drives for the partner and most of the sub cabinet is pre-assembled but unpainted +old style active crossovers and 2 spare SEAS sub drivers
No space to use them effectively unfortunately, but I'd love to hear a fully built pair. The Orions were very impressive the few times I've heard them.

Looks like you've done a great job with the one LX521. Why are you stopping?

I switched to active monitors a few years ago.
I have a small reprogrammable (digital) active crossover PCB I want to experiment with, as it really is "better" than passive crossovers (ignoring the various complexities and logistical downsides of needing multiple amps). Again it's one of those "roundtuit" jobs!

I have a small reprogrammable (digital) active crossover PCB I want to experiment with, as it really is "better" than passive crossovers (ignoring the various complexities and logistical downsides of needing multiple amps). Again it's one of those "roundtuit" jobs!
My system runs two active DSP units in a 4 way setup with an exotic valve preamp and 6 power amps 😱😱😱

Hmmm bit of a sweeping generalisation there. Not sure PMC, Rega etc would agree

The advantage of multiple amps is you ca pick them to suit the driver they are feeding . I use two 750 watt Behringer amps to feed each of my 18” bass drivers (same drivers used in the top end PMC speakers) ….but some very nice 845 tube valve amps at 18 watt to feed the midrange (3” soft dome drivers)

I built a rather large front ported reflex speaker ai 1971. My woodwork teacher was very supportive, and the blockboard carcass was beautifully veneered. Sad thing was I couldn’t afford to make the second one at the time, and it years before I had shed space. I bought a pair of AR3 imp speakers instead which I still use. Still have my single speaker though and with one ear now getting worse by the day it may yet come back into its own!

No space to use them effectively unfortunately, but I'd love to hear a fully built pair. The Orions were very impressive the few times I've heard them.

Looks like you've done a great job with the one LX521. Why are you stopping?
Over the last 4-5y I have had a few medical issues, one symptom of which is intermittent partial vision loss in one eye, so given that and the fact I live in a rural area necessitating me to drive is a bit of an issue. So plan is to sell up and move somewhere more suitable- likely a town based flat and seriously down-size along the way., so these along with the contents of my rather full 18m² workshop have to go.
WRT active crossovers I bought the license for the LX521 just prior to folk starting to develop digital filter solutions and I know that as these were refined Siegfried himself endorsed their use in lieu of his own analog designed pcb and he stopped listing the analog pcb in the license options.

An interesting thread. My partner's father used to work for the BBC, then left and set up Spendor. His son took over the company and sold it on his retirement. However his services are still demanded so he's still busy well into his 70's designing speakers.

How come never to be finished, or is that self-deprecating irony about slow progress? The (metal cone?) woofers have a very expensive air to them, what are they?
Apologies - see my prior reply to sploo.
The drive units are SEAS L26R04Y which have very deep magnets and voice coils allowing 28mm p-p linear travel and a maximum excursion of 56mm and I seem to remember they were around £300 each.

Oh that sounds exciting. We are straying into another high spend hobby area…
IMG_0026.jpeg

This was at an exhibition in 2022.

Hmmm bit of a sweeping generalisation there. Not sure PMC, Rega etc would agree
Yea, that's why I put "better" in quotes. Lots of advantages to active, but also plenty of practical downsides. Case in point: I've wanted to do it for years, but all the speakers I use are currently passives.

cool i went to the bristol hifi show many years ago and saw some great setups and prices
really taken by a few speakers on show and in the demonstration rooms
A real high cost hobby
i ourchased an Audio Analogue Enigma Valve amp around £900 at the time - I think it was about 2006 ishish maybe earlier
The CD player broke on it - which didnt matter as I was then keeping everytrhing on harddrive and streaming via a roxy unit i think
NOW in the loft and not used along with the BOSE speakers

I just use a sonos beam now, as never really got back into the hifi scene

just looked up =- YEP 2006
https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/enigma_e.html

Over the last 4-5y I have had a few medical issues, one symptom of which is intermittent partial vision loss in one eye, so given that and the fact I live in a rural area necessitating me to drive is a bit of an issue. So plan is to sell up and move somewhere more suitable- likely a town based flat and seriously down-size along the way., so these along with the contents of my rather full 18m² workshop have to go.
WRT active crossovers I bought the license for the LX521 just prior to folk starting to develop digital filter solutions and I know that as these were refined Siegfried himself endorsed their use in lieu of his own analog designed pcb and he stopped listing the analog pcb in the license options.
Very sorry to hear that. I'd love to own the LX521, but I don't have anywhere to put them (whilst meeting the requirements for spacing to walls). Linkwitz's designs were popular amongst members of the DIYaudio forum so you may find a possible buyer there.

Just finished building this, 18" sub based on the bms 18n862, which are impossible to get at the moment, probably the best 18" sub driver you can get. This will be the third in my room, other 2 are behind the screen wall and invisible. This one is in the open.
1000025166.jpg

Back