Sourcing a #778 rebate/fillister plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just a quick question. Can anyone suggest somewhere, preferably online, where I can get a new #778 rebate/fillister plane?

Also, are there any differences/preferences between a Record and Stanley. In fact, does anyone else make anything similar, perhaps an improved version??

Thanks All
Andy

AndyG":22kvfwnw said:
Just a quick question. Can anyone suggest somewhere, preferably online, where I can get a new #778 rebate/fillister plane?
New? No. Secondhand? Lots. Whole list of dealers to ask on my website, but a quick scoot round found this and this.

Also, are there any differences/preferences between a Record and Stanley.
Screw depth adjustment versus lever. The Record #778, WS and Woden though, having two fence rods, are much superior.

In fact, does anyone else make anything similar, perhaps an improved version??
Ahhh... Um, can you wait a bit...? :-#

Cheers, Alf

alf":1k5b348q said:
Ahhh... Um, can you wait a bit...?
Oohh, now there is tease!! Dare I ask for any more details... Like who and how long :D

Thanks for all the pointers though.
Andy

AndyG":2w615q3e said:
alf":2w615q3e said:
Ahhh... Um, can you wait a bit...?
Oohh, now there is tease!! Dare I ask for any more details... Like who and who long :D
No, no, I daren't. [-( I may inadvertantly say more than I'm s'posed to, so best I say nothing at all. :-#

Cheers, Alf

Alf":26gz0dnm said:
No, no, I daren't
OK. Fair enough :(

I was hoping to use it for my competition entry. Thought it would be nice to try a hand tool approach, rather than relying on an electric router.
Do you think, whatever is on the horizon may appear within the next few weeks? (Sorry, that's the last time I'll make a bid for information, honest :D)

Andy

AndyG":32fjilz2 said:
Like who

and who long :D

I don't think the first part of question really needs asking does it? :wink: :whistle: :lol: (if my guess is correct that is)

Oh, just spotted my dodgy typo, quick, where's that edit button!!

Tony, are you thinking those marvelous plane making people at Veritas??

Andy

Sawdust Producer,
Thanks for the pointer. The B&Q website doesn't list it (it doesn't list much come ot think of it!!) but I'll have a look next time I'm at our local store.
Here's the plane on the Irwin website.

I also seen a Faithful version in Yandels show last sping

TB27753.jpg

Andy it was in a b&q super duper store near me

Ahh.. that's grand. Can't beat a tool that comes in a wooden box!! Is Yandels a supplier or do they make the planes? Do they have a website?

I think our B&Q is one of those super warehouse jobs too. It's certainly big enough. Mind you it didn't stop them from discontinuing their stock of large 6mm MDF sheets. Grumble..... grumble......

Bugbear, thanks for the link.
Now that only leaves the questions: Is the faithfull as good as the Record? Can I hold on for this mystery plane?
Andy

Andy
Jewsons sell the Faithful one-its in most of the stores I've been to.
I believe Toolbank also sell it online.
Cheers
Philly :D

Tony":31s2li7l said:
AndyG":31s2li7l said:
Like who

and who long :D

I don't think the first part of question really needs asking does it? :wink: :whistle: :lol: (if my guess is correct that is)

Not quite a guess. :) Rob said as much in his chat that was hosted by Woodcentral and Chris Schwarz.

L-N is coming out with some plows modeled after the small Records. Gonna be a good year for woodworkers. :D

AndyG":3dxjn1ya said:
Can I hold on for this mystery plane?
For a competition entry? Erm, I'd guess probably not. And that Faithful one doesn't look too ghastly...

FWIW, the local B&Q had an Irwin block plane out of its packaging when I was last in there (on clearance) and if the quality of that is any indicator of the rest of the line, steer well clear of the lot of them. You just seem to be paying premium for the label; the quality was on a par with Groz.

Cheers, Alf

ydb1md":pqcjyh4w said:
Rob said as much in his chat that was hosted by Woodcentral and Chris Schwarz
Dave, is this the chat you are referring too? I couldn't see (after a quick scan) anything on a rebate plane.

Andy

AndyG":21twddhf said:
ydb1md":21twddhf said:
Rob said as much in his chat that was hosted by Woodcentral and Chris Schwarz
Dave, is this the chat you are referring too? I couldn't see (after a quick scan) anything on a rebate plane.

Andy

Chico... OK Rob... Here is the question for you!

Rob Lee Shoot...

Chico... What LV is going to bring NEW things out in '06?

Chico... So, I am asking for a "teaser"...;-)

Rob Lee Wellll.....mostly tools...but some books too.....and a store (not in Victoria)

Rob Lee Chico - Think 289, but with improvements, and handed....

Alf, thanks for the warning. Though, I was going to give that one a miss. Without wanting to sound like a tool snob, there does seem to be something quite wrong with buying a plane from B&Q.

Anyway, some thought and a beer later, I'm thinking a 2nd hand Record 778 is the way to go.

Thanks everyone for your help
Andy

Latest posts

Back