SOSS 203 Hinges - any experience in fitting them ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO's going for a day of pampering on Sunday :lol: .

So I want to fit my new SOSS hinges to my tool cabinet doors. Those of you with very loooong memories may remember I started this in 2007 or was it 2006? You can refresh your memories about far I got here

Impressive? I think not.

My life consists of many things started, but few things finished. But heigh-ho - SWMBO's being pampered so a whole day in the workshop!

Oh, any advice on fitting SOSS hinges? Will I regret this choice - like so many others?

Don't worry, Phil - they are really easy (easier than butts if you ask me)

I use a simple jig like this:

jig.jpg

Two 30mm holes drilled using a forstner bit on the drill press, with the centres 1 1/4" apart for the Soss 203. Mark the centrelines too. Then remove the waste with a chisel. Screw on a piece of squared up timber on the bottom, positioned to centre the jig on your work.

Position the jig for the mortice using the centreline you marked on the jig, then rout out the shallow mortice using a 30mm guide bush & 1/2" bit, then stick a small offcut of 1/2" dowel at each end of the hole in the jig. This restricts the travel of the router by 1/2" at each end, so you can then rout out the deeper portion of the mortice.

I prefer this approach to just using a fence on the router - its much quicker if you're doing more than one hinge (which you inevitably are!)

Hope that helps,

Neil

Back