Sorry folks.. shameless Youtube channel plug ..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powertools":3f6rk78s said:
YouTube is a fantastic resource to show of products you have to sell but anybody who thinks that they will ever make an income from their YouTube videos alone is kidding themselves.
If that is your ambition or anybody else's ambition just forget it it won't happen.

That's the spirit......

powertools":2b39lgje said:
YouTube is a fantastic resource to show of products you have to sell but anybody who thinks that they will ever make an income from their YouTube videos alone is kidding themselves.
If that is your ambition or anybody else's ambition just forget it it won't happen.

I don't think you would with an attitude like that, there's been plenty of recent upstarts on youtube that are doing very well. I reckon so long as you've got good, interesting and entertaining content you will do pretty well. Alec Steele is a good example (I've been a subscriber for a long time), he went from teaching blacksmithing and doing youtube as an advert more than anything just over 2 years ago using cheap camera equipment and no lighting in an old industrial unit in Norwich, to now living in Montana with a nice workshop producing youtube videos about himself more than anything with the occasional bit of blacksmithing. He's worked very hard for it, mind.

powertools":ymp52l93 said:

I'm sorry but that's just completely wrong, small channels don't but if you get to 60-100k subscribers you'd make enough. Depends how seriously you take it I guess.

It's not my ambition for it to be a full time job anyway.

Scottdimelow":3pva213f said:
powertools":3pva213f said:

I'm sorry but that's just completely wrong, small channels don't but if you get to 60-100k subscribers you'd make enough. Depends how seriously you take it I guess.

It's not my ambition for it to be a full time job anyway.

Can you possibly please tell us what it is that you do for a full time job Scott...?

I have watched through most of your videos and find myself intrigued as to your profession.

Making money from YouTube, plus affiliate links for shopping, is entirely possible. Like anything in life, if you don't try you're never going to give yourself a chance to achieve it.

Also, regarding video equipment, you can do a LOT for not very much nowadays... Lots of free software as well. LED light bulbs and some diffuser paper goes a long way.

I work in a professional photo/video studio, you don't need to spend a lot to get good you tube quality video.

Peter Millard is a photographer also, would be interested to hear what he thinks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

powertools":29pt0mqo said:
YouTube is a fantastic resource to show of products you have to sell but anybody who thinks that they will ever make an income from their YouTube videos alone is kidding themselves.......

I'm sure you're probably right in a woodworking context, but I know a twenty-something year old millionaire thanks to you tube videos about applying glitter. She need never work again, if she didn't want to.

Scottdimelow":1reudihp said:
Sorry folks after some confusion I'm re-posting as I've had my account name changed :oops:

I've recently started a Youtube channel, covering a knock-off Festool Domino made from aluminium, and I'm currently doing a series about my monster homemade table saw. I'll be covering more woodworking projects soon, I'll also be covering a camper conversion.

Let's not let the Americans have all the youtube views, if you like what you see please consider subscribing :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmDIhj ... ywoQmb2Qfw

Haven't checked out your vids yet but I've subscribed. (hammer)

I am very impatient though so if your vids have any of my youtube pet peeves like extended intro sequences, annoying loud music while stuff is being made, attempts to be funny, then you'll lose me :wink:

It's good to have another UK channel to check out, I get bored of our american cousins with their giant dado stacks and unavailable here minwax products!

Edit - Just read through the whole thread and seen the safety comments.

Not to jump on the safety bandwagon but I've experienced kickback (not a table saw but on a router) and it launched a 6kg piece of ash at alarming speed across the workshop and smashed into a chair, very lucky I wasn't standing in the way. I don't think weight of a workpiece alone will stop problems.

When I first got my tablesaw I forced myself to watch table saw accidents, once you've seen gory vids of people with minced up hands and missing digits and thumbs you might reconsider your approach.

All the best fella.

You Tube posters make money if they get a shed load of hits that then justify ad placement. Woodworking is very niche. Oddly enough, a site that gets famous for being a horror story of dangerous practices and chopped off fingers will get far more hits than one that is super H&S conscious. :D

Yes, quite, and, unfortunately, "shed-loads" means millions in a few days, not a few thousand over several years, which is what woody vids (at least, mine), attract.
Cats and glitter, eh? Hmm, how can I combine the two? :)

It is surprising how many views some videos have, on subjects like river tables, live edge tables etc. The key seems to be having weekly, or at least frequent new content. Some such people are filming items that they are making- making something just to film it is probably very time consuming and becomes a full time job.

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my table saw, and using a plunge saw and MFT.

Has anyone made that change? Any regrets?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think all the really successful channels have to excel at the video quality, the presentation, the content, and the sale of plans that you have been convinced to trust and buy, by all that quality, Matteus Wandel, Ron Paulk, etc.

To me, anyone looking for a fast buck out of youpube, has probably missed the boat now, and as was always the case, you now have to earn the success and rewards by hard work, skill, and an engaging way with the facts, like this fantastic son of our islands =D> =D>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlovvsGVVJk

Patreon and donation, Leo deserves it all.

That's how good and 'one off' it has to be, unique content and competence will always be key.

Not aimed at you Scott :) :wink:

Hey folks, I've been thinking today and I concede to what you're all telling me. I'm going to install a proper riving knife and even a guard!

You got me thinking as to why I've never used either, and I think it's a mixture of being self-taught and watching a lot of American youtubers who don't use them at all. I always made sure to watch any safety videos though, no excuse of course.

I should be setting a good example if I'm to continue down the YT route, thanks for making me think on :D

As for production, I'm using my DSLR as of today and will hopefully have new lighting soon.

What are your thoughts on the intro? I was thinking of just doing away with it all together.

Although some people don't seem to think I know what I am talking about I would suggest that your intro is very artistic but it goes on to long.
Videos on YouTube to be successful need to be quick, slick and and informative in not much more than 5 minutes to create inough interested for people to want to come back to your channel to see more.

Yeah you're right, I think I'll just ditch it all together. I always click past intros, I don't know why I have one.
I struggle with making short videos, my projects are usually too big to condense down. I'm hoping if I can get the lighting and sound right, there'll be an audience.

One of my favourite youtubers is Allan Little, Askwoodman. He goes into excruciating detail, but I love that lol. Same with project Binky, they're never long enough!

Scottdimelow":1oroa10y said:
........One of my favourite youtubers is Allan Little, Askwoodman. He goes into excruciating detail.........

...........but never makes anything. He is one of those people (like you find on forums) who spend all their time making stuff for their workshop, and fiddling with tools, but never making furniture and so on.

Don't get rid of your intro altogether the last part is very good and will give your channel your identity and that is important.

Haha I know what you mean, I think he's a bit of a perfectionist in terms of workshop and flow.

When he does make stuff he does a really good job.

There does seem to be a woodworking fraternity that just enjoy the idea of having all the gear, should they ever need it. I think with youtubers though, it comes down to just making new content.

Latest posts

Back